1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiper issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 PM
RamblerReb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper issue.

I was tooling along in the Dodge at around 60-65 mph when a bug of unknown description found its way unerringly into my line of sight on the windshield. Since, shockingly enough, the windshield washer still works, I gave it a squirt and the wipers did their thing-- for about four passes, at which point the driver's arm flopped over like a thing dead and took up residence next to the drver's side mirror. A post-mortem back at the ranch revealed that the linkage had come loose and was hanging free under the cowl. The passenger side linkage is a mass of rust I can make neither head nor tail of, and I would like to replace the clips or pins or whatever they are at the same time. Anybody know what sort of part I need? Pictures welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/WindshieldW...FcyY4AodyBkAng

You'll need some of these. I got them for about $10 at NAPA. You have to pull the wipers and the cowl off, then you can get to the linkage.

To get the wiper to release, pull it up away from the windshield, and slide open the retaining tab on the base. Then you can wiggle off the wiper arm.

Once you get to the linkage, you have to press the bushings in. When I had to do mine, it was below freezing, and those little hard plastic bushings did NOT want to cooperate.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the only thing i know of that is a common problem with the wipers is that the plastic Wiper Linkage Bushing's eventually fail after 20+ years and need to be replace. i personally have not replace mine yet but i have been told using a vise makes replacing them easier.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Comrade General
Captain

I have replaced all mine. Be sure to replace ALL of them when you pull it apart. I made the mistake of not replacing one that had not failed, well a few months later I was back under the cowl replacing it.

I found the simplest way to do it is pull out the linkage and put it all together then put it back under the cowl. Youll still have to do the bushing to the wiper motor but you have more room to do it if you pull the linkage out. I used some robo grip pliers to press them together on my tailgate. Some silicone spray helps them slip on a little better too.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Dougger1
Default Adding windshield wiper timer

Is there an aftermarket kit for modifying my 1991 D150 to a delay/timer system?

Thanks Doug

Quick Reply: Wiper issue.