1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

91 D150 Project by an idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Slodave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 D150 Project by an idiot.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I bought this truck, but now I have the bug and I'm not giving up.

This is my first forum, so if the pic doesn't work I'll try again lol.

I've got tons of body work to do, which I can handle. My biggest problem right now is I have no idea whats in it. At the time I didn't care, I paid 900 bucks for a truck that ran and looked cool, so I ran with it.

Guy told me it was a 360, but I've had people tell me all sorts of things, and I can't find the damn casting numbers.

I just put the Holly on, the old one was shot and I plan on driving this till the day I die so I'm putting all new parts on it. Body has 115k, and he told me the engine has about 20k. Was originally a manual 6, now its an automatic 8.
The engine runs much better with the new carb, but even after adjustment it idles at about 15 mph and the engine chugs like mad until I give it a little gas, then it settles down (out of gear).

Name:  2013-04-05192149_zps7b62f323.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  104.1 KB

Someone loved this truck once and spent a bunch of money on it. I plan on getting it back up to the badass street truck it once was, I could definitely use some help. I've been to shops that won't even look at it because their computers won't hook up, or even just because it's a Dodge. Stupid. But yeah, what do you guys think here?

Attached Thumbnails 91 D150 Project by an idiot.-2013-04-05192140_zps25184b9c.jpg  

Last edited by Slodave; 04-05-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Figured out photos
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 PM
grimm
Professional

Nice lookin truck man, its always good to see someone give the old dodges some love. Looks like its a small block so either 318 or 360, im not sure which but someone will be able to say for sure.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

welcome. the is a pretty nice looking truck.

there should be casting numbers on the side of the block that tell you what engine it has. originally from the factory it would have been TBI so someone has converted it to carb. have you adjusted the idle mixture screw? once you get the mixture screw set right then you can adjust the throttle stop screw to get it to idle were you want.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Comrade General
Captain

I wouldnt be surprised if it was a 360. Thats defiantly not the original engine that would have came in the truck

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Slodave

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
have you adjusted the idle mixture screw? once you get the mixture screw set right then you can adjust the throttle stop screw to get it to idle were you want.
Actually set it as low as it could go. Another quarter turn and it stalls out at red lights. I drive it around all the time, and I live in the city, so I couldn't have that. I'm not sure if that's the carb it needs, I just bought the same one they had. But thinking back, they didn't have the tranny linkage hooked to the throttle, so I don't know wtf. It's a 600 cfm

Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the tranny linkage needs to be hooked to the throttle or you will kill the transmission.

sounds like you might be mixing thing up. you adjust the idle mixture screws on the left and right side of the carb equally untill you got it idling as high as you can and then you adjust the throttle stop screw to bring the idle down to where it needs to be. you also need to do this after the truck has hit operating temperature.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Slodave

I can't do it now, my exhaust is broke and the neighborhood doesn't like me lol. I've just been worried about doing something wrong and wrecking the engine. I just found a page explaining setting a Holley, and with your input on top, I think I get get her settled. I did catch the tranny linkage though, I've seen enough melted transmissions to know I don't want to deal with another. I'm not sure how long they ran it that way, but I now my oil is burnt, so I may be out a friction plate or two.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

well if you got a 727 transmission you might be able to get it rebuilt cheap if it does fail. i know you could order a rebuild kit from rock auto for less than $100 if you are brave enough to try rebuilding it yourself.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Mr.Clean27320
Rookie

You need to adj the carb like wolfie said to. Also, check your timing and make sure it is right after you adj your cab. Did you check the adj of your tranny linkage when you hooked it back up to be sure it was adj right?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Slodave

Turns out I had a more pressing matter in the front end. Ball joint went out and had to get towed home and assess the damage. Working on a limited budget and would like to do the work myself, so may be a minute before I have to worry about the carb and kick down. Did learn the on-off-on-off-on-off pattern and have a decoder to learn the codes it throws, so I'm one step forward five steps back lol

Quick Reply: 91 D150 Project by an idiot.