1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Turner661
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help intake manifold question

hey just bougt bunch of new parts for my motor (400 big block) im loosing the 2bbl and stock intake manifold and im going with a edelbrock off road 4bbl carb and edelbrock torker intake manifold and i got a question when installing do i have to replace gaskets aswell the motor was just rebuilt about 1000km ago should i just be able to bolt on or? is there anything i dont know about that i will need while doing this? this will be my first time getting into a motor (ive just never had problems with my motors to never take apart)

Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by Turner661
hey just bougt bunch of new parts for my motor (400 big block) im loosing the 2bbl and stock intake manifold and im going with a edelbrock off road 4bbl carb and edelbrock torker intake manifold and i got a question when installing do i have to replace gaskets aswell the motor was just rebuilt about 1000km ago should i just be able to bolt on or? is there anything i dont know about that i will need while doing this? this will be my first time getting into a motor (ive just never had problems with my motors to never take apart)
You don't want a single plane intake on your 4500lb truck. Despite the "torker" name they are for high RPM operation and not low end torque. Edelbrock even states not for use on heavy vehicles. You will probably end up with a bogging or hesitation at lower RPMs

From their site: ORKER 383 (2500-6500 rpm)
Designed for 361-383-400 Chrysler V8s that measure 7.75" across block. Great for street high-performance engines operating between 2500 and 6500 rpm where low-end torque is not a requirement. Not for heavy vehicles

For your truck you should be looking at a Performer or Performer RPM

Edit: how big of a carb are you going to? Are you changing anything else?

Last edited by sls001; 07-27-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Question
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Turner661
Professional

hey so i installed it all and the carb is the off road thunder series edelbrock 4bbl it keeps bogging out when i give it full throttle but higher rpm is what im kinda looking for anyways cause i dont want any more low end power i can barley grab when i had the 2bl when off roading and i need more power for higher rpm for mud so far once i get the carb tuned it looks like a common problem when u first get that carb i also think i might need to get my timing fixed on my truck im still fooling around with it but so far ive noticed a huuuuge gain in power and im barley even getting to use the full 4bbl once it opens up i dont think theres enough fuel getting to it or some reason sucking to much i dunno so many things it could be

Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM
sls001
Captain

Did you miss the part where Edelbrock states the Torker and Torker II are NOT for Heavy Vehicles.

You have the wrong intake for your vehicle regardless of how your going to use it - even for mud racing. Now if you had the heads and cam to support it you could still use the intake provided you kept the RPM's way up there but even then you are going to have bogging and hesitation.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Turner661
Professional

never once seen or heard its not recomended for heavy vehicles i went to shops and told them what i want and they all recomend it because its a "perfect set up " for the off road carb.. thunder series.. well this is what i have and this is what i gotta deal with so.. show me were is says not for heavy vehicles

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like you need to start doing your own research. i don't know where it say not for heavy vehicles but sls001 is right that it is the wrong intake for a truck and the place that recommended it is most likely a place that deals with cars. i would not be too surprised if they also sold you a carb that is too big for your engine since everyone likes to over carburate a engine which makes it get poor fuel mileage and loss of performance where it matters for a truck.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by Turner661
never once seen or heard its not recomended for heavy vehicles i went to shops and told them what i want and they all recomend it because its a "perfect set up " for the off road carb.. thunder series.. well this is what i have and this is what i gotta deal with so.. show me were is says not for heavy vehicles
I got the quote in my previous post off the Edelbrock site.

I can tell you from experience that unless you have the rest of the engine ready to run that single plane intake (high RPM = lots of air flow) you are going to have issues just as I pointed out in my previous post before you installed it.

Do you plan on doing any head work or replacing the cam anytime soon? If so then it is possible to get that intake to work for you but you may still experience bogging trying to drive it around since you are way outside the flow characteristics of that intake.

For a dual purpose vehicle where you are going to go both on\off-road with the occasional blast through a mud pit a dual plane intake is what you should consider. For dedicated high RPM use then you will need to do some work as mentioned.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Turner661
Professional

well the carb its self is for off roading so when i go up a hill it doesnt die out on me.. ive experienced that to much and was annoyed for it and yes eventually i wanna do heads and cam and what not but that might not be till a little while. i been doing research but once again im new to this older set up i dont know exactly what to look for and i work at lordco and everyone there says that great set up so i went with it. i also tryed posting stuff on here many times but friggin no one responded and tryed to look up what i want and couldnt find anything so i went with what the older experienced guys have.. they new what i have and what i want and thats what they reccomend but i gotta deal with what i got cause its not like i can return it and i dont wanna waste my day taking it apart again. so guess im stuck having to do heads and cam even tho thats still taking it apart..

well now i dont no what the **** to do this is bs .. now that its on of coarse people tell me no not good idea..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Turner661
Professional

k suggestions now finally that people are talking.. what would u recomend for a intake manifold then.. i dont see why the carb i have would be bad .. its the edelbrock thunder series off road one is that a problem? but for intake manifold i need suggestions..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Turner661
Professional

Quick Reply: Help intake manifold question