1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 Dodge Ram W150 Ignition Problem

Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 PM
austin.colby
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 Dodge Ram W150 Ignition Problem

Hello everyone. I just joined the site and this is my first dodge that I have owned but am having some issues with it. It appears to have the Lean Burn Computer system and am running into an idling/running issue when warm. When I bought the truck, it definitely was apparent that the previous owner loved to chop and splice wires (lots of wire nuts and electric tape throughout the engine harness). Since this is my first time diagnosing the issue with an unfamiliar vehicle, I just wanted to get some thoughts from the community...

1986 Dodge W150 4x4 w/ 360ci engine
Edelbrock 650 cfm carb
Edelbrock performer intake
Electronic Spark Control System (Lean burn from what I can tell)

The truck starts and runs fine but when it seems to warm up, it won't idle unless I give it about 1/4 choke. The coil voltage while running is approximately 3 volts but have 14 at the battery and voltage regulator appears to be functioning. I found a ballast resistor with one wire laying on the back of the intake so I guess it's not hooked up and at this point, am just considering converting it over to the standard ignition control module setup. Before I go to that length, are there any suggestions on things to check?

Attached Thumbnails 1986 Dodge Ram W150 Ignition Problem-austin-colby-261176-albums-1986-dodge-w150-ignition-problems-19817-picture-dizzy-44011.jpg   1986 Dodge Ram W150 Ignition Problem-2-austin-colby-261176-albums-1986-dodge-w150-ignition-problems-19817-picture-spark-controller-44.jpg   1986 Dodge Ram W150 Ignition Problem-3-austin-colby-261176-albums-1986-dodge-w150-ignition-problems-19817-picture-coil-and-ballast-re.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jay Boes (09-06-2020)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 PM
austin.colby

Here's the wiring diagram that I found to replace the spark control with a standard ignition module. I'm thinking that since it has all the EGR, air cleaner and senors removed with and the edelbrock carb in place, the spark control might not function properly.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

welcome

i think that thing you think is a ballast resister is for the factory choke. if it is chopped that much it might just be a better idea to convert to standard ignition system. you can get a mopar ignition wiring kit for $20 plus shipping from summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3690152/overview/

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 PM
austin.colby

wow, you really can't beat that for $20.00....

Since the vacuum advance is part of the spark control computer, would I need to replace the distributor or will the standard ignition take care of that?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you will need to eventually replace the distributor but you don't have to do it immediately if you are on a tight budget.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 PM
austin.colby

Alright - just a quick update (and question)...

I ended up replacing the distributor anyway with a stock AutoZone reman distributor... Here is the parts list for the project:

Cardone Reman/Distributor - 30-3890 - $39.99
Duralast Ignition Coil - C838 - $23.99
Duralast/Ignition Control Module - CR109 - $19.99
Duralast/Ballast Resistor - CR107 - $5.69

I ended up making a custom harness for the setup and had to add a relay in for the 12v start circuit but it starts and runs great (well sort of)... lol

Make question is this... Now that I have a vacuum advance for the distributor, I connected it to the Edelbrock carb (in the port for the advance) and it seems to be drawing too much vacuum. I set the timing to 5 degrees BTDC and it runs great without the advance hooked up. When I hook it up, the truck spits and sputters and will not idle. I made sure to hook it up to the "time vacuum" on the carb and no luck. Any thoughts?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:45 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i should have mentioned that the start circuit is optional. i find my truck starts just fine without it.

i think you have the timing set wrong. i think the initial timing should be set to 10* or 12* BTDC.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:55 PM
siwilson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Dodge Ram 150 4x4 318 Ignition Problem

Do not have any spark. Looking for the ignition resistor location on vehicle.
I have a new coil, ignition module, new distributor, cap & rotor, and wires.
Vehicle ran great for 6 months. Now, it doesn't have any spark. Looking for ignition resistor location and hoping it is not the computer.
Thank you for any input.
siwilson

Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Originally Posted by siwilson
Do not have any spark. Looking for the ignition resistor location on vehicle.
I have a new coil, ignition module, new distributor, cap & rotor, and wires.
Vehicle ran great for 6 months. Now, it doesn't have any spark. Looking for ignition resistor location and hoping it is not the computer.
Thank you for any input.
siwilson
my truck is an 85 I have been getting the same problem, have all new same parts you listed, have you got spark sometimes? to the best of my knowledge my truck has no computer.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Jay Boes

Originally Posted by austin.colby
Hello everyone. I just joined the site and this is my first dodge that I have owned but am having some issues with it. It appears to have the Lean Burn Computer system and am running into an idling/running issue when warm. When I bought the truck, it definitely was apparent that the previous owner loved to chop and splice wires (lots of wire nuts and electric tape throughout the engine harness). Since this is my first time diagnosing the issue with an unfamiliar vehicle, I just wanted to get some thoughts from the community...

1986 Dodge W150 4x4 w/ 360ci engine
Edelbrock 650 cfm carb
Edelbrock performer intake
Electronic Spark Control System (Lean burn from what I can tell)

The truck starts and runs fine but when it seems to warm up, it won't idle unless I give it about 1/4 choke. The coil voltage while running is approximately 3 volts but have 14 at the battery and voltage regulator appears to be functioning. I found a ballast resistor with one wire laying on the back of the intake so I guess it's not hooked up and at this point, am just considering converting it over to the standard ignition control module setup. Before I go to that length, are there any suggestions on things to check?

what is this part called

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 Dodge Ram W150 Ignition Problem