1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 to 4 bbl swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a throttle cable, and two springs, one inside the other.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm talking about the linkage that goes to the transmission that control the line pressure.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ah, the kickdown. No, mines a single rod. The spring was missing, but I made one from an extra throttle return spring. This was my primary source of info for TQs, can't says for sure how accurate it is, but a lot of other places I went to supported it.

http://www.rockcharger.com/tech/vaan...quad_guide.txt

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Did you change the cam? the cam in the 2bbl and 4bbl motor is a lot different I would think if it is at all like Chev. Everytime we did a 2~4bbl swap in the 70s we had to do a cam in the 2nnl motor or nothing would run right.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Nope, stock cam. I imagine there is some difference between a two and four bbl cam, but I don't think it would cause too much trouble. I've done this swap on 318s and other 360s with no trouble.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Go about trouble shooting the right way then and borrow a KNOWN good carb and see if the problem persists. At least that'll rule out everything else.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

That could be difficult, live in a small town populated nearly entirely by Chevy people. I don't rightly know of anyone else with a TQ, but I'll check around. It ran good with the two bbl Holley, so I assume the trouble lies in the carb. I'd replaced all regular tune up items as well as timing set, valve seals, and fuel pump at the same time as the swap, so everything else should be good.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:52 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

The only thing I can think of is have you tried advancing the timing? It seems like it might be retarded a little too much, from what my pal tells me the dodge book is out to lunch on settings.

kinda sounds like it might be a carb problem if so I'm not so sure it's in the size of it as it seems to me i heard the carbs on the 360's were like 750's or 800's or something crazy big, but even if the the carb u have is too big that would really only affect things when you punch it hard and open the 4 bbls and then it would just bog until it caught up. if possible try replacing the carb with a known good carb.. this will tell you if in fact the carb is the prob. if the carb is the prob you might have done something wrong in the rebuild.

Also since you obiously had a bunch of the motor apart at the same time look for anything else obviously wrong... is a wire pinched somewhere? does the vacuum gauge do anything funny when its on the motor? are all the holes in the intake plugged etc.

Last edited by beakerztoyz; 10-16-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Sniper X
Captain

it also might be a vacuum leak on the intake or heads.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

I used a little propane torch to check for leaks, got nothing. I fiddled with some settings and timing and got it running a bit better. So I'm convinced now it's all in the carb. The vacuum holds steady as just over 18". It falls on its face if I punch it, but I think I can tune that out. Still can't get the idle below 850. I also may rebuild my Qjet and try it out. I'm playing with the idea of pulling the engine and doing a full rebuild with cam/intake/headers and perhaps a stroker kit if they're not too expensive to get up here. Recomendations? I'm leaning toward a Weiand action plus intake, not sure on everything els.

Quick Reply: 2 to 4 bbl swap issues