1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 to 4 bbl swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, picked up the AVS, hadn't noticed that the divorced choke setup is gone, and it has a manual choke put in. Not a huge problem, but I'd like to get the parts to put it back. The pull off is easy enough to get, and I can get the rod as well, but I need the part that's on the end of the shaft for the rod to hook to. Does anyone have a parts carb I could get that from? I'd think the AFB is probibly the same, the pull off and rod are the same. I'll get it on in the next few days, hit a bit of a cold snap here.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ok, couldn't wait for nicer weather! Put it in, started but wouldn't idle at all. Played with idle mix and speed to no avail. Took it off and apart, reset floats (brass ones it came with, no idea how old they are), removed idle screws and discovered they are different. One quite a bit longer, which as far as I can tell is the right one. Put it back together, reinstalled it, fired up and idled, got the mix and idle set, played with timing (no easy feat since the factory marks only go to 10 either way, and I'm far enough away from that to not be able to see the mark on the damper!), got it nice and smooth, steady vacuum about 21". It's got a tiny bog when punched, but I'm thinking that's the pump shot. Got too late and cold to keep going tonight, so get to that tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ok, got the AVS running good, pump shot adjustment did the trick. I may have figured out why the TQ wouldn't run right. I had used the 1/4" think spacer, that I mistook for a gasket, and didn't have gaskets on either side. The spacer has plastic inserts where the bolt holes are. I think this caused a big vacuum leak. I checked for leaks with a propane torch, and found none, but I focused on the intake gaskets and not the carb base. I'm trying to track down a 360/4 speed for my '48 Dodge 1/2 ton, so if I keep the AVS on the Ram, I'll try the TQ on it. Too cold out now to be swapping carbs back and forth! on a somewhat related note, if, theoretically, a fellow were to put a rocker shaft on upside down, would it make a tapping/rapping noise? I also have a squealing/rubbing sound (seems to be in the dash somewhere, but hard to track down), that comes at around 18 kph or so. It's not engine related, as when I pop it into neutral and rev the engine, it remains constant. But does get faster with vehicle speed. I don't see anything rubbing on the front tires, and this is also a completely new noise. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Originally Posted by furiousgeorge
Ok, got the AVS running good, pump shot adjustment did the trick. I may have figured out why the TQ wouldn't run right. I had used the 1/4" think spacer, that I mistook for a gasket, and didn't have gaskets on either side. The spacer has plastic inserts where the bolt holes are. I think this caused a big vacuum leak. I checked for leaks with a propane torch, and found none, but I focused on the intake gaskets and not the carb base.
yup a spacer plate without gaskets on each side will cause a vacuum leak, I had one one time becase a carb wasnt tightened down enough, now I always check this area when looking for leaks

Quick Reply: 2 to 4 bbl swap issues