1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering problem

Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
noonrock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem

Need advice. Grand daughter just bought a 93 150 dw short bed 4x4 with 360. Cute and rather unique little truck, but has a problem. Owner had installed 33x10s and the steering is not right; wanders a lot. Have a feeling the oversized tires killed the original box, so do I replace it with a heavy duty box, rebuild the old one, or what? She won't be doing a lot of off-roading, other than roadways and mountain roads, and she wants to keep the big tires and wheels, otherwise it won't be bitchen, right? What to do.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
dozer556
Rookie

Originally Posted by noonrock
Need advice. Grand daughter just bought a 93 150 dw short bed 4x4 with 360. Cute and rather unique little truck, but has a problem. Owner had installed 33x10s and the steering is not right; wanders a lot. Have a feeling the oversized tires killed the original box, so do I replace it with a heavy duty box, rebuild the old one, or what? She won't be doing a lot of off-roading, other than roadways and mountain roads, and she wants to keep the big tires and wheels, otherwise it won't be bitchen, right? What to do.
It's been my experience with lifted rigs that there are a number of things that can cause the truck to wander once you've slapped on a lift and tires. The steering box is only one link in that chain, so that leads me to a few questions.

When you say wander, what do you mean? Does the truck pull to one side or the other? Does the steering feel vague? Is there a lot of play in the steering? Do the tires show any signs of uneven wear? Does the rest of the steering gear (drag link, pittman arm, etc.) seem in good shape?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Your grand daughter has good taste in trucks haha.

But the first thing I would check is the steering shaft, I bet the coupler is worn out. Thats a common problem even with no lift and bigger tires. Check the alignment aswell

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 PM
fezandpaz
Default loose steering

I agree with this reply, I suspected my steering box but discovered the sliding coupler was worn out. There is a repair kit available from Dorman products. Part # 425-253. there is a tutorial on you tube. I bought mine from Advance Autu parts online for $11.00

Originally Posted by Comrade General
Your grand daughter has good taste in trucks haha.

But the first thing I would check is the steering shaft, I bet the coupler is worn out. Thats a common problem even with no lift and bigger tires. Check the alignment aswell

Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

The coupler in the link is the biggest problem with the steering in the trucks http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Steering-Sh...FaTm7AodtwoAgg
You can replace it but with large tire's, few thousand miles and you'll be doing it again.
This is a permanent fix http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...ck-p-1452.html
Found this article on how to replace it http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ering_upgrade/

Dave

Last edited by xjarhead69; 01-17-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering problem