1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CEL/EGR Maint Light & Parking Brake Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
eduardostewart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL/EGR Maint Light & Parking Brake Light Help

Hi guys, i have an 87 W100, 318, 4x4, np435, np208

i cam across several threads about the on/off trick to display any codes, and if no codes were throwing it might throw a 55. i've tried this several times and no light at all blinks

1st question is- is the EGR maint light the "check engine" light? Does my 87 have the EGR maintenance computer that throws codes

I believe this is a pre-OBD vehicle?

Another question is the dash brake light. is that just to light up if something is wrong or is that to light up when the parking brake is depressed as well? that doesn't come on when i have the parking brake on

Old 01-16-2014, 03:09 PM
eduardostewart

what i'm kind of getting at is, is there an actual CEL light? or does the EGR light (if i have one) do double duty as a CEL light. I don't want to pull the dash and whatnot if i don't even have a CEL bulb to replace if that's it? if that makes sense

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have a emr light (emissions maintenance reminder light) but I don't think 87 has a CEL light...well at least mine doesn't... my EMR light lit up for codes but the bulb was blown and when I fired it up it came on and stayed on so I guess they never shut it off at the 90k mark so I tore it back apart and hit the button to reset it... in my 87 theres a plug to attach an OBD-1 reader its under the hood back by the firewall tied in to the brick on the firewall next to the steering wheel shaft as another option, the red brake light should light up when theres a problem with the brakes, its connected to the fluid distributor that's on the driver side frame rail somewhere near where the y pipe bends around to cross over

Old 01-19-2014, 04:37 PM
eduardostewart

i remember seeing a few connectors on the drivers side engine bay. looking into an obd1 reader but theyre not as affordable as the obd2 i got was. i guess cuz theyre more for mechanics with a woder need with all the options and hookups.

so youre saying the emr light will do the blinking for the on/off trick to flash codes?

also, the brake light doesnt light up when you have the parking brake on?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

According to the Mitchell 1 program... but they aren't always right either. there isn't a switch on the parking brake lever to activate the light its just to indicate a problem with the actual regular brakes

Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 AM
eduardostewart

thanks, i appreciate your time. i wanted to make sure the EMR light a more useful purpose - like flashing the codes - before i took the time to rip out anything to replace bulbs or find out what's going on.

off topic, but does your 87 have an O2 sensor? the FSM shows an O2 sensor on the drivers side close to the bottom of the manifold, but only the California 318, not the Federal 318. My truck has dual exhaust so i don't know if it's "missing" or didn't come with one.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

nope its the federal 318, it has a "mini OX" converter on the left side of the y-pipe that I took off and it has the regular cat on the right side of the tranny but that's hollow. anyway theres no o2 sensors on mine at all from the factory
and your welcome I try to help anyone I can

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 PM
eduardostewart

thanks again, i ask about the O2's and the CATs because i was talking with my mechanic and my future plans for the truck. It will need exhaust work for next year and i'm planning ahead.

got to talking about the smog pump and emissions stuff and it came up as to what exactly has to be there, how do mechanics know what to look for etc...

he had this book that was about 2-3 times the size of the old full size telephone books with a butt load of cars/models in them, what make/model/engine should have this and that

there was a X in the column for an O2 sensor and i found it odd, because i couldn't back that up to the FSM. I guess that's just another California feature. i was getting worried and looking around for some clipped wire or something as i'm new to the truck

Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie

If your talking about the "Maint Req" light it is not a fault warning, it just lights up at mileage intervals to remind you to check emission control stuff and most people just remove the bulb. It tells you nothing and has no "codes" but for your year you should have a slot in the module you can slip a small screw driver in to reset it.

You do need Cats for that year and I am pretty sure you had an O2 sensor for that year so if you get an emissions test for your state you probably are going to need them. I am running no cats on my 1985 D-150 and even though we dont get emission control checks I cant pass a normal state inspection because I removed the cats (I have it registered as a historical vehicle).

I dont know what PA does for checks, where I am at in Missouri (it varies by location) they do a safety check and only check to see if the cats are there, they could be hollowed out and all the emissions removed and they wouldnt fail you.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 AM
eduardostewart

Originally Posted by Mopar Trucks
If your talking about the "Maint Req" light it is not a fault warning, it just lights up at mileage intervals to remind you to check emission control stuff and most people just remove the bulb. It tells you nothing and has no "codes" but for your year you should have a slot in the module you can slip a small screw driver in to reset it.

You do need Cats for that year and I am pretty sure you had an O2 sensor for that year so if you get an emissions test for your state you probably are going to need them. I am running no cats on my 1985 D-150 and even though we dont get emission control checks I cant pass a normal state inspection because I removed the cats (I have it registered as a historical vehicle).

I dont know what PA does for checks, where I am at in Missouri (it varies by location) they do a safety check and only check to see if the cats are there, they could be hollowed out and all the emissions removed and they wouldnt fail you.

MOPAR, so you're saying there's not light at all in the dash to flash the codes with the on/off key trick? The gist i got from shultz was that the EGR maintenance light pulled double duty.

As for cats, yes i need them for my state emissions inspection. I have to say i am skeptical that i have an O2 sensor but i can't find it. The FSM show one for the California 318, and one for the 6 cylinder engine. I also found text in the FSM that states an O2 sensor would be for a Feedback Carb only.

Quick Reply: CEL/EGR Maint Light & Parking Brake Light Help