Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 1st Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Automatic to a manual help

Old 02-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Default Automatic to a manual help

Hey guys i have an 85 d150 2wd automatic 318 that i want to put a manual in it do you know how hard it is to put in the clutch petal i have to have my floor pans replaced so i might put in a manual floor board do i need a new flywheel? Driveshaft? How do you run the clutch cable all the help i can get is well appreciated i follow instructions great and where is the best place to get a 4 speed or could i use a 5 speed out of a 93 cause i can get my hands on one of those i live in nw missouri
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Professional
1991 Dodge Ram 150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Big Horn Edition 5.9L Cummins

I did this swap last summer on my 91 w150. I don't know about an 85, but my floor boards work with the clutch. I swapped in a hydro clutch, so I didnt have to run any linkage. The hardest part I had putting in the clutch pedal was finding a pedal set. Once again, not sure how the 85's are, but in mine the brake pedal pivots on a metal rod, all I had to do was pull the rod out, slip the brake pedal off, and slide the new brake and clutch pedal on. Took me about 20 min, simply because its a pita to work under the dash. You will need a flywheel as you have a torque converter with the automatic, and obviously you'll need the clutch kit as well. I bought a set of manual driveshafts at a salvage yard, I swapped in a 4speed (NP435) which was shorter than my 4speed auto (A518), so I needed a longer rear and shorter front. I also ran into trouble because of my 6" lift, so the manual front was too short and I had to get a custom front made. Since yours is a 2WD you will only need the rear, and you may not even need it if the manual trans is close in length to your auto. I can't help with clutch cable/linkage as I did a hydro clutch (which was by far the hardest part of the whole swap). I bought my pedals, bellhousing, trans, shifter and rear driveshaft at a salvage yard. I got the trans, bellhousing and shifter for $150 with 80K miles. I love the 4speed, the only complaint would be the extremely low first gear. For daily driving I dont even use first, I drive it like a 3speed. On the flip side, the low first gear is a huge advantage if your ever stuck or if your off-roading. Overall, the swap was a lot of work (I also did a motor swap at the same time) but it wasn't extremely challenging.

More corn....Less pavement
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1978 W350

Also, not sure if Dodge used the same cross member or not. Might have to check that out. You might consider a 5 speed swap. Being as you are a 2wd, half ton, you could likely run a NV3500 from a V8 Dakota or 1500. Then you could use the factory supplied hydro lines, instead of mechanical linkage, and you would get much better mileage. I ran a NV3500 in my 4x4 1 ton for a few years before it finally bit the dust. They are plentiful, fairly strong and cheap. Same amount of work as swapping in a 4 speed. Don't know if you know anyone that builds trannys, that might do you a favor, but I'm not too far from you, and I have a NV3500 you can have if you want it. Needs rebuilt.

Last edited by Scooter78; 02-16-2014 at 07:52 AM..
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 AM