1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My new truck has some (3) codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM
mikebrennan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new truck has some (3) codes

Hi: New truck is now in the garage and runs pretty nice. I have been appreciating your input on some other issues.
I checked the codes and I have 3: 12, 45, 17
12 I don't think is an issue.
45 says overdrive solenoid is shorted or open. I have no idea what that means but it sounds not too good.
17 seems like a tstat issue. Am I right?
Thanks
Mike

Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If I remember right, that 45 was always present if it was a PCM on vehicles that didn't have torque converter solenoid, but didn't generate a check engine light.

17 could be a thermostat stuck open or a problem with the coolant temp sensor rationality.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
mikebrennan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks for that info. I suspected the tstat as it ran pretty cool bringing it home from Jax to Bqk about 70 miles. Otherwise seems ok except the PO installed a new muffler and ran the tail pipe out of the center muffler towards the ground. So it only has about 1/2 length of the exhaust system. I better not sit in it too long at idle.
He also put in 1 fill of synthetic Transmission fluid. I am still wondering if that is bad. Should I do a 3 drain and fill or just let it go. The color is very good.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrennan
He also put in 1 fill of synthetic Transmission fluid. I am still wondering if that is bad. Should I do a 3 drain and fill or just let it go. The color is very good.
Betting they put synthetic and some friction modifier or other additive because it was slipping or shifting bad. I would leave it alone.

Quick Reply: My new truck has some (3) codes