1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

powertrax lockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 AM
NiNjAassasin545
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powertrax lockers

i have a 75 dodge and i really want to get lockers in it. my friends have them in there toyotas and they where telling me they paid thousands to get them put in and i dont have that much.. i was looking around and found the powertrax lock rights... does anybody have any experience with them? do they work well and do you have any problems?

i know i have a dana 44 in the front and im pretty sure i got a Chrysler 9.25 in the rear but im not sure. its a 75 w100

Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Lock Right Locker looked like a solid option back in the day.
For your old truck it would work well.
My suggestion is you save your cash and use it to swap your diffs.
Eight lug the front and swap the rear for a Dana 60.
The 60 rear was in every 2wd or 4wd Dodge truck of that year range.
Hell, 1970 to 1985 should about fit. I even stuck a 14 Bolt Chevy in my 79 Dodge. Springs almost fit stock. A big hammer. One hit and perfect fit.
Easy four inch lift. Fit 40" Swampers. With some fender gouging.
You want lockers.... weld the spiders. Worked well for me but it was a busb bitxh. But also my daily driver.
Yup. 79 Ramcharger on Bias ply swampers with a welded diff as a daily. Lol. Was fun.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 PM
sls001
Captain

Do not weld the spiders (lincoln locker) if you plan on driving it on the street...

PowerTrax, lockrites, etc are cheap (lunch box) lockers that work ok on light vehicles that are not beat on to much. But with a full size truck especially if you install larger tires they will not last long off road if your are rough on them.

Dodge only put D60 rear axles in 250 or 350 series trucks and only put them in the front of 250's with the 4,500lb axle option (which would include the NP205 transfer case) it is easy to tell since only the D60 had king pins the D44 HD still only had ball joints.

Installing D60's is the best way to go in the long term D60's from a 75-up will fit and be nearly bolt in. A GM D60 front will require the front springs be "bowed" in to fit as for GM rears the spring perches will have to be moved since GM's have their springs set wider apart that Dodges.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 AM
NiNjAassasin545
Amateur

thanks! i should probably put the d60 in it. id be the person who breaks the axle testing out my new locker haha... so you guys are saying put a dana 60 in the rear and what should i put in the front?

and then after i do all of that do you think i could fit 38s without loosing a lot of power.. my truck is pretty sluggish already and it really should have a rune up, but i really want 38s on it.. that would be awesome..

if you guys think its the best option i think i will just save the money and buy better lockers.. what would you guys recommend after i get the new axles?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:37 AM
RDuck
Captain

Man, I ran 40's on my 79 Ramcharger.
I had 4:10 gears. Bad idea.
Go 4:88.
I abused my truck with a Dana 44 8 lug front and Dana 60 rear (welded).
It works. But harsh.
I put 5 front diffs in my truck. 3 rear diffs. Broke the frame four times. Broke my steering box. Two 727 transmissions, two NP208 transfer cases (yes I swapped out that heavy 203) and turfed two 360's in 14 yrs.
I can build that truck tough now. Lol. I found all the bugs.
If your mild, a front 44 will survive 38's. But real mild.
I used to stand on my throttle.
Five point harness, caged, lets go.

Can I upload an old pic... lets see now.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 AM
RDuck
Captain

Nope. This site won't let me load pics off my phone.
Pain in the neck.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 AM
RDuck
Captain

Originally Posted by sls001
Do not weld the spiders (lincoln locker) if you plan on driving it on the street...

PowerTrax, lockrites, etc are cheap (lunch box) lockers that work ok on light vehicles that are not beat on to much. But with a full size truck especially if you install larger tires they will not last long off road if your are rough on them.

Dodge only put D60 rear axles in 250 or 350 series trucks and only put them in the front of 250's with the 4,500lb axle option (which would include the NP205 transfer case) it is easy to tell since only the D60 had king pins the D44 HD still only had ball joints.

Installing D60's is the best way to go in the long term D60's from a 75-up will fit and be nearly bolt in. A GM D60 front will require the front springs be "bowed" in to fit as for GM rears the spring perches will have to be moved since GM's have their springs set wider apart that Dodges.
Well of course the only put 60's in 3/4T and 1T trucks. Lol.
Gm front 44's fit but the spring pads are wider than your Dodge springs. I used one. What a pain. Spring packs kept twisting.
Rear 77 14 Bolt fit my 79. Straight in. My springs needed a slight smack to get the pins into the holes on the diff but she fit well.

Also used 80 Dana 44 front disc brakes and calipers to make my own 14 Bolt with disc brakes. Worked very well. Had to swap my master cylinder for a larger one. I had a master on the shelf from a mid 80's chevy one ton cube van I made work with my 79 power booster with my then 4 wheel disc brakes.
Lock up 40's at 65 mph on the highway.

Quick Reply: powertrax lockers