1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

broke down for first time, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke down for first time, wont start

So my 92 w150 with the autp trans, my baby died on me today in the middle of the road in traffic in the turning lane.

It just cut off without warning. Wouldnt start. Tried several times later. Couldnt find anything obvious. Didnt have any tools on me so I didnt pull a spark plug to tell if I was getting fuel or not. I will say the other morning I got it cranked it up and it died after running for only seconds, I let it sit for a minute and it started back up. I drove it and had no problems until today. Showing codes 12 and 17, I think.

Anybody have any idea what it could be? Is there anything electrical that could shut down my engine and prevent it from starting such as a safty switch of fuel solenoid valve or anything like that? Or would it most likly be the fuel pump, or distributor or something. I dont know much about gas engines, not as much as I should anyway

Old 02-13-2014, 12:06 AM
sls001
Captain

318 or 360 - I ask since a 318 would be a magnum and this could be a crank position sensor which is fairly common.

It would be best to know if when it quit if you lost spark or possibly fuel pressure. W\o knowing that it could be anything.

If no spark: connections, coil, pick-up coil, etc.
If no fuel: connections, relays, computer, fuel pump, etc.

Code 17 is for the CTS - meaning the engine is staying cool for too long. Use your DVOM and check the resistance it is seeing.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Comrade General
Captain

Its a 318. I saw somewhere a crankshaft sensor was common.

I've been busy this whole week with a 50 mile commute and all day class so I probably won't be able to look at it this weekend. Sounds like if it's not getting fuel it may be a complicated thing

My coolant temp has been low for a long time now so I probably need a new sensor maybe a thermostat

Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Comrade General
Captain

Ok so I did some trouble shooting.

Swapped the ASD relay, still no start.
Swapped coil, still not start.
Checked for spark after coil, no spark.
Checked for voltage at coil. Just over 9 volts then immediately dropped off. (sound like CPS)
Disconnect CPS plug and checked resistance as per manual. There was none so its supposedly good. Cant plug it back in though now, hardly no room at all. Im probably gonna have to take apart the distributor to get the plug back in. (engineering of this sucks)

Anybody got ideas. CPU maybe?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:23 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you check for power at the ASD relay? there is suppose to be a fusible link for the asd relay and it may have gone bad. have you checked to see if you have fuel pressure? you can give the schrader valve on the fuel rail a poke and you should have fuel jump out at a good rate if things are working properly.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
did you check for power at the ASD relay? there is suppose to be a fusible link for the asd relay and it may have gone bad. have you checked to see if you have fuel pressure? you can give the schrader valve on the fuel rail a poke and you should have fuel jump out at a good rate if things are working properly.

If they ASD isnt getting power, that would stop spark aswell?

Wasnt sure how to check for fuel pressue but I did see that valve. I should have pressure as soon as I turn the key to on. right?

Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if your ASD relay don't have power at terminal 30 then your truck will not have spark because nothing will have power even if the relay was to turn on.

even with the key off there should always be about 30psi of pressure in the system at all times.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Comrade General
Captain

Alright cool. Hopefully Ill get this all figured out in the next couple days and get it fixed by the weekend.

Went snow wheeling today in my cummins, didnt do so well haha. My 92 would be awesome I think though

Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Ok did a couple more things today.

Pulled two spark plugs. Look not too good, will definetly need to replace them. Dry though. But I didnt start it for long so idk it it would have had enough time to get wet from fuel.

Got the CPS plugged back in. But it didnt click or anything. It went together very loosly.

Check for voltage at the ASD relay. I get about 12 volts at 3 of the terminals, then when I try to start, it drops down to 8 or 9 volts.

Also checked for fuel pressure where the shrader valve is. didnt seem like alot of pressure but it was there. Squirted a few inches up.

Any more ideas? Any way to take the CPS out of the equation? Bypass it somehow or is it essential?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you can't bypass the CPS. it is was controls spark and timing.

you might want to see about possibly borrowing a fuel pressure tester. i think you should have it wanting to spray fuel more than a couple inches. anything below 25psi and i don't think it will run. i know mine ran like crap on 25 psi.

Quick Reply: broke down for first time, wont start