1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
johnsair19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild help

Hey all,
I have a 1987 Dodge Ram D150 with a slant 6. The trans is starting to slip so I would like to pull it to do a rebuild; but want to verify the trans I have. I'm pretty sure its a 904 with the high starter location, but would like to see if someone can verify it by the ID i have from the pan rail. I believe this is the right number. Some of it was hard to see because the gasket sealant was blocking it some. The number I believe it to be is: PK4431566 9250 7348. I tried to look it up on the net but came up with nothing. Would like to know if someone can point me in the direction for a rebuild kit for it, whether it is a lock-up or non-lockup converter and any special trans tools recommended. I'm your typical driveway mechanic. I do all my own work. I did pull the motor on this truck and did a complete rebuild on it bottom end to top end. Let me know of any other info that might be needed.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 AM
SageRad
Default Update? Also looking for part number.

Hello. I also have a 1987 Dodge D150 with the same part number. PK4431566. I did find some more info if i search for the part number 4431566, and on this page it is given also with another part number A904 in the same listing so maybe that is its other name more commonly known, and if so then it would be 4 turns back from 72 in-lbs for the low-reverse band. And here's what i got from another forum, so it looks like it's the A904:

4431566 is the part number for the transmission assembly. Here is the listing:
4431566 B,D A904, w/LONG EXTENSION, B1,2-D1,2 w/225 Eng., H-STALL, After 8-5-1986 PILLETTE Built, After 8-11-1986 WARREN Built

Did you ever find out the answer, John? Did you do some work on it?

Mine is also slipping. I am going to have it flushed and change filter and hope to adjust the bands. I am looking to see how many turns to backturn the band adjustment nuts from 72 in-lbs. The Kickdown band is probably 2 1/2 turns back, since it's the same for all except the 440 CID engine, according to the Haynes manual. But the low-reverse band could be either 2 or 4 turns for the various transmissions that they list, and they don't list this one at all.

Could you please update me and tell me how it turned out and if you fixed the slippage?

I also intend to add two bottles of Lucas treatment in the new batch of transmission fluid.

Last edited by SageRad; 03-23-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 AM
SageRad
Default Think it's a lockup

According to one page that has very little more info but it says it's a lockup torque converter, and i would guess that's true too. http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/lil_sis_...r/tf9nr010.htm

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild help