1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

89 W150 front ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 W150 front ball joint replacement

need some advice before i either make myself crazy, or make a costly error. i am replacing the ball joints on the passenger side of this truck, and while at it, thought i should do both sides.

my challenge is the hub removal. i think i want to remove the rotors in order to pull the axle assembly, but am unsure if i need to dis-assemble the automatic locking hubs, or can i leave them?

can i leave the rotor assembly intact and still get to the 4 bolts on the inside to drive out the bearing? it does not look like i have much room to get a socket in there.

lastly, i believe i need to remove the 4WD actuator in order to be able to remove the driver side axle, is that correct?

sorry for the long message, but I am having a tough time finding this info anywhere on the web, and I dont want to wait on a shop manual to be sent...if I can even find one.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all that to replace a BALL JOINT? or do you mean something else... I have an 87 w150 and I can just take the nuts off without doing anything

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur

ll joints. the front axles need to come out or the top bolt will not drop far enough to clear the hub, plus the ball joints are pressed in

Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional

You have to pull the axle shafts out, which means calipers, rotors, wheel bearings will have to come out. If you have the ability, an air hammer is insanely helpful. My truck had over 250K on the original ball joints and everything was rusted together. Air hammers are great at knocking stuff loose. My other piece of advice is to see if you can get your hands on one of the better ball joint tools, the ones that they loan out at auto parts stores are often really pathetic.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Lambiotte
Amateur

Thanks...guess there are no shortcuts in Dodgeland. realistically, it is probably best to repack everything anyway....i dont need to pull the diff do i? i think i can get away with just the access to the intermediate shaft thru the shift actuator.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional

You do not need to pull the diff. I pulled the cover so I could change the oil, but you dont even need to do that.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Lambiotte
Amateur

thanks for the help MNfarmboy...ball joints complete, reassembling all else once the rain stops. Note to anyone reading this, press in the new ball joints doing the top one first if you are using the c-clamp type press. I did pull and paint the diff cover, looks way better. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 89 W150 front ball joint replacement