1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers or manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 PM
codyglock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers or manifolds

so im building my motor in my 90 ram. the motor is an 87 318 out of a diplomat cop car. so it already has 360 heads and various other cop car upgrades. im shooting for 400hp kinda like this build http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304...l_block_build/ . But all the builds ive read up on always use headers. My question is how much power can the stock manifolds make in a setup like the one posted? are they going to be super restrictive? and what about shorty headers? are they worth it? i only ask that because i dont like how headers get in the way but if they help get to my power goal then ill just get some good headers.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

what is it you think headers get in the way of? I have a set on the stock 360 in my 85 and they are in the way of nothing, in fact it is probably easier to change the plugs now than it was with the manifolds. while i agree that in some cars with some motors headers can be a major PIA other than having to use the smaller starter mine went in great.

I would love to just once see a magazine do an engine dyno test with manifolds and then with headers just to show how much power is unlocked by this simple thing. all you'll do by not running a set is limit the power your motor puts out.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get TUNED headers its gonna do even better than rgular headers which are just slapped together... tuned ones all have the same lengthnof pipe making each cylinder wok equally hard which I turn makes it a more power balanced motor nd all around better performance.... I wouldn't go with shorty headers just because then they just mount up to your factory restrictive y pipe.... unless you arent doing a full exhaust .... go with tuned long tube headers.... they might look funny but your gonna outperform anyone else

Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
codyglock

sorry it took so long to respond. well usually they get in the way of the starter or steering components. ive never seen a first gen with headers so i guess if they arent in the way then thats one of my concerns gone.

my truck already has 2 1/4" true duals with only blown out glasspacks, so no restrictive y pipe. That was one thing i was leaning towards shortys for was because i wouldnt have to modify my exhaust too much. But Ill look into some tuned ones and see what i can find.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 PM
codyglock

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/5902/10002/-1
what do you guys think about these? they seem a little nicer than summits cheapo ones but wont break the bank

Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

we alway's used the term Equal length headers for what Grant calls tuned headers, and he is right they will flow better than normal headers because they scavenge the gasses better from the cylinders.

I looked on the Jegs page you posted and it doesn't look like they even make any for our trucks, the ones you picked would probably be a little higher quality than the cheapie flowtech's I am running.

One caution, I DID have to change the starter to make the headers fit there are 2 diffrent factory starters for our trucks one is larger and the other is smaller my truck had a bigger one in it so i had to get the smaller one, it's just a normal replacement part though not some hi dollar aftermarket thing. my truck is a 4x4 and the headers interfered with nothing after i changed that.

one other thing dont forget to plug the little holes in the heads right under the headers

Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM
emnestor
Professional

I just purchased a set of the block huggers and a mini starter. Dont think I will have any clearance problems at all. The shorty's will definately allow for more HP.
PS>>> I just tried to upload a pic of the headers. Does this site only allow you a total of 10 pics and thats it?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shoulda got long tubes

Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM
codyglock

beakerztoyz, yeah i knew what he meant haha. my truck already has a "smaller" starter. its the newer style one if thats what you mean. and yes i was already planning on tapping those holes and plugging them. thank you though.

emnestor, i would like to see a picture of those. im not sure why it wouldnt let you though.

Last edited by codyglock; 04-10-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by codyglock
beakerztoyz, yeah i knew what he meant haha. my truck already has a "smaller" starter. its the newer style one if thats what you mean. and yes i was already planning on tapping those holes and plugging them. thank you though.

emnestor, i would like to see a picture of those. im not sure why it wouldnt let you though.
Heres a link to the huggers

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/the...14640940713442

Quick Reply: headers or manifolds