1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM
tarheelboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler

Once I resolve my fuel issue I am going to tackle the exhaust. I am going to replace everything from the cat back. Since my truck looks like an old junk yard dog I want it to sound like one. What is a good muffler that will give me a nice loud deep tone from my 318? I want it to sound as ugly as it looks.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just straight pipe it... forget the muffler I took mine out of the equation and its 2 1/4 from the cat back since that's what come out of the cat anyway.... its mild at idle but roars at high revs

Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional

I ran a straight pipe for about a week, it basically sounded like an old grain truck. It was really loud and I really liked it. However, in MN its illegal not to have a muffler (unless you have a turbo, which they count as a muffler). And in my area cops love to pull highschoolers over for any reason they can find, or sometimes without a reason. My truck is already pushing the legal envelope, I didn't want to give cops additional reasons to pull me over. So I put on a dynomax race bullet, its got a nice deep tone, but still makes some noise when you give it a little gas.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
tarheelboy
Rookie

I am pretty sure it is illegal here in NC too.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

now that u have a pic in your posts your truck I lookin pretty good doesn't look like a junkyard dog to me! you want a nice muffler that's almost no restriction but still counts get a cherrybomb extreme its got a nice aggressive tone and is still pretty loud when you get on it

Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 PM
tarheelboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by grantshultz1994
now that u have a pic in your posts your truck I lookin pretty good doesn't look like a junkyard dog to me! you want a nice muffler that's almost no restriction but still counts get a cherrybomb extreme its got a nice aggressive tone and is still pretty loud when you get on it
Thanks. She don't look that bad I guess. A little outta place in the neighborhood though.
I think it had a cherry bomb on it when I got it. It wasn't making any noise so when I started working on the hesitation I pulled it off and went with a flowmaster that I already had. When that one was quiet I discovered, by touching cold exhaust pipe behind the cat after the truck ran for 20 minutes, that the cat was clogged. So the cherry bomb was probably still good.
I do like them. Had one on a '74 Nova.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

wasn't talking about a glasspack its this one
http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Ca...s/extreme.aspx

Quick Reply: muffler