1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Muffler suggestions

Old 04-12-2014, 02:17 PM
alhuffman73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler suggestions

I own a 93 Dodge W-150 with a 318, and I'm looking for ideas for a dual exhaust system. I already have a Flowmaster muffler on it and it sounds good, but I'm not sure what kind it is. I believe it's a Flowmaster 40. If anyone has a suggestion I'd like to hear them. I want something that's deep and throaty. I prefer to stay away from straight pipes.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal favourites are dynomax and thrush. Not sure on dual piped. I like to stay away from flow master and cherry bomb (very common so un-unique sound) you tube them and make your decision!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know everyone hates on cherry bomb cuz its what everyone already has or had, but damn does this thing sound good! mybbuddy has them on his Dakota and wow!
http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Ca...s/extreme.aspx

Old 04-12-2014, 05:11 PM
djbucky3
Captain

I will soon be installing a cherrybomb glasspack on my 2nd gen and i really really cant wait! Here is a link to a thread with some videos and the way that i made my decision..
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-muffler.html

Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 PM
emnestor
Professional
Default Muffler

I am going with a true dual exhaust system on my truck. I found an excellent muffler that has the tone of the FM 40 plus it saves space. It has 2 in and 2 out and a crossover/ x pipe built inside so you can kill two birds with one stone. Full Boar is the brand. Its all stainless steel and made in the USA. $59!!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM
dozer556
Rookie

There are plenty of companies that make chambered mufflers - Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, Borla, Jones Exhaust, Gibson, Dynomax/Thrush, Walker, etc., etc.. You can pretty much get them anywhere, in different materials, acrsoss a broad price range.

My personal take on chambered mufflers is that while a lot of them sound awesome, they also produce a good deal of interior resonance, which makes them annoying on a long-term daily driver.

I have had a Flowmaster 40 series on my everyday truck for the last nine years. It has held up incredibly well, especially considering the conditions I drive in. The build quality was top notch. But I'll be totally honest - I was sick of the interior droning after about 6 months. Plus, she sounds really loud at 5:30 in the morning, which does nothing to impress the neighbors.

My 2 cents - if you're set on going with a chambered muffler, I'd aim for something along the lines of a Flowmaster 50 series or dBX. It won't be as deep and throaty, but it's probably more liveable in the long run.

If it was my rig, and I was driving it more than once a week, I'd seriously consider a good turbo muffler (or mufflers) on some 2.5" pipe. A buddy of mine just installed a set of Thrush Mad Hots - full dual exhaust, no cats, old truck - and they sound pretty darn good, especially considering what he paid for them (about $120 for the pair).

Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by dozer556
There are plenty of companies that make chambered mufflers - Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, Borla, Jones Exhaust, Gibson, Dynomax/Thrush, Walker, etc., etc.. You can pretty much get them anywhere, in different materials, acrsoss a broad price range.

My personal take on chambered mufflers is that while a lot of them sound awesome, they also produce a good deal of interior resonance, which makes them annoying on a long-term daily driver.

I have had a Flowmaster 40 series on my everyday truck for the last nine years. It has held up incredibly well, especially considering the conditions I drive in. The build quality was top notch. But I'll be totally honest - I was sick of the interior droning after about 6 months. Plus, she sounds really loud at 5:30 in the morning, which does nothing to impress the neighbors.

My 2 cents - if you're set on going with a chambered muffler, I'd aim for something along the lines of a Flowmaster 50 series or dBX. It won't be as deep and throaty, but it's probably more liveable in the long run.

If it was my rig, and I was driving it more than once a week, I'd seriously consider a good turbo muffler (or mufflers) on some 2.5" pipe. A buddy of mine just installed a set of Thrush Mad Hots - full dual exhaust, no cats, old truck - and they sound pretty darn good, especially considering what he paid for them (about $120 for the pair).

What this guy says! 40's will drive you crazy on an everyday driver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muffler suggestions