1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 PM
alhuffman73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Problem

I have a 1993 w-150 with a 318 with multiport fuel injection and it has been having an idle problem for almost a year now. It idles up and down but it only does it in park and neutral. Not sure what it is. I was seeing if anyone else is having this problem and if anyone has any ideas what it might be. I was thinking it was my throttle position sensor but I don't think that would make it idle like that in only park and neutral.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Possibly the IAC? Here is the link to download the 95 service manual which should be be of some help.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html
Here is link to purchade manual for your truck http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Dodge-Ram-Truck-Ramcharger-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-CD-Engine-Drivetrain-/360469985195?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53edaf77ab&vxp=mtrI have several manuals from them.

Dave

Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM
cmfriend
Amateur
Default Same problem on 92 Dakota MPFI

The AIS port located on the throttle body gets clogged.
Its a motor actuated valve that opens at idle to let air around the throttle plates.
The best thing is to remove the throttle body and then all sensors and plastic parts because carb cleaner can ruin them. spray out all the ports and vacuum line connections put it back together and see if that helps.
You would be surprised how many shops will charge hundreds of dollars and replace all kinds of parts when all it needs is a simple fix.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cmfriend
The AIS port located on the throttle body gets clogged.
Its a motor actuated valve that opens at idle to let air around the throttle plates.
The best thing is to remove the throttle body and then all sensors and plastic parts because carb cleaner can ruin them. spray out all the ports and vacuum line connections put it back together and see if that helps.
You would be surprised how many shops will charge hundreds of dollars and replace all kinds of parts when all it needs is a simple fix.
Is the valve you are talking about?
It's also known as the IAC.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Idle Problem-ac68photo-20primary.jpg  

Last edited by xjarhead69; 04-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Idle Problem