1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM
ramsmitty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Problem

Hi everybody,

I have a 1992 Ram 150 that has a cold start problem. I have to squirt some ether in the air cleaner to get it to start when its cold. The colder it is the more ether it needs. A friend of mine was under the hood and noticed a hum coming from a device on the drivers side. This device has four wires with the colors, red, yellow, green, and black. My friend rapped on this device and the humming stopped, then it started without ether! Do you have any idea what this device is (a wiring diagram possibly), what it does, whether it is actually causing the problem, and where I could get one? My mechanic replaced a relay and that didn't fix it.

Thank you

Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Picture is worth a thousand words, but first guess would be starter relay.

Dave

Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
cmfriend
Amateur
Default Cold Start

If I remember correctly on my 92 Dakota V6 there would be a click and a pulse of fuel sent through the injection system when the key was turned to the on position.
If you dont hear that there may be a bad relay or wiring problem.
I sold that truck to my nephew who is an auto mechanic and he had to fix a loose connection where the fuel pump relay plugged in under the hood inside the main fuse box.
Not sure if the 92 RAM had the Holley MPFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection)like the Dakota or throttle body injection.
I would also try removing the throttle body and clean all the ports with gumout.
Be sure to take off any sensors and plastic pieces because that stuff can ruin them.
The AIS (automatic Idle Speed) port which has a small valve that opens at idle can gum up and cause poor starting and rough idle.
Its located on the bottom rear of the T.B. toward the cab.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
ramsmitty

Thanks cmfriend. The engine runs perfectly at idle and under a load, the only problem is cold starting. Hot starting is also perfect. It does have MPFI and I did clean clean the AIS valve and the throttle plates. The relay that had been replaced was the fuel pump relay. I know the engine needs more fuel when it is cold, that thing with the four wires must be some sort of controller, probably tells the computer whether the engine is hot or cold.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should post a picture so we can help you better.... pictures make everything easier

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problem