1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shocks

Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM
tarheelboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks

I am looking to buy some new shocks for my 89 w100. It has a 2 inch block installed in the front and a 2 inch block in the back. Is the rear block factory installed and not considered lifted for the purpose of ordering shocks? I was assuming that the front blocks were installed to level the front with the back.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off front blocks are really bad and since you own his truck i'd get those outta there asap and just add leafs in... and they did come with a factory block in the rear

Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
tarheelboy
Rookie

Thanks Grant...so the front blocks are bad? That sucks. So I should look into the add a leaf kits to keep the 2 inch lift?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 AM
tarheelboy
Rookie

Looking at my front leafs, there are 3 leafs. There is a short, medium and long. Does the add a leaf go in between the short one and the medium or on the very bottom?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

depends on the company, mine is bone stock so im not totally sure... they might even make leveling kits... just look around I know rough country just gives you a brand new leaf pack that just replaces the old one with the added leafs already in there...ill ask some of my buddys today that have first gens that have lifts and or leveling kits

Old 05-06-2014, 03:55 PM
tarheelboy
Rookie

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

k so my one buddy got his leveling springs from rough country and they went on the bottom of the stack, my other buddy went with skyjacker and his went midway.. so I guess it really does depend on the manufacturer and who you decide who to go with.. honestly id just lift it.. it is a little expensive but you get new springs all the way around or new rear blocks and new front springs, rough country offers the best kit in my opinion for the best price.... just throwin that out there... I think im gonna go with the BDS Suspension Systems one which is just over 1000 plus install of you don't do it yourself, rough country if I recall was around 700 for the 4 incher with new springs all around

Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 PM
dozer556
Rookie

Regarding the shocks, read this:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/su...re-for-shocks/

And yes, you should definitely get rid of the front blocks. They're unsafe and someone probably put them in there to make up for a sagging front end.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/su...t-lift-blocks/

Regarding the Rough Country lift, IMHO they are not worth it. Sure, they're inexpensive, but the quality of the components is low (cheap bolts, ugly welds, mismatched holes in the brackets) and the leaf spring lifts ride horribly. I installed a 4" lift on a friend's truck and we took it off 6 months later because the ride was awful - totally stiff when unloaded and very little flex. You get what you pay for. Why do you think they're so cheap?

They way I look at it is this - why pinch pennies on one of the few parts of the truck (your suspension) that could easily kill you if something goes wrong cruising down the highway at 60?

I think Skyjacker is one of the few companies that offers a 2.5" spring lift for your truck.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 PM
tarheelboy
Rookie

Thanks guys. I'll take all the advice I can get. I'll definitely get rid of the blocks but will probably go with the add a leaf only because the rear suspension components are in really good shape and I can see no reason to change them out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shocks