1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Convert 1st gen to power windows.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I would update:
I picked up a set of doors from a power window truck, but one side has had the electronics robbed from it. Ill have to replace that. I think I am going to put the doors and front fenders from the 81-93 style on my '78. I will use my '78 grill and hood. The body line on the doors fade out at the rear and blend into the flat of the cab and bed. I recently saw a truck with 81-93 front clip and a 72-80 bed. Matched great when it was painted. One would never know unless they were a dodge freak.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:03 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snowy canuk
fair as I have looked into it myself, without some work you cant simply bolt in the power regulators. LMC truck is selling a kit now the change them.
I think there is some major headache involved due to metal being in the way. I have a truck that Ihave been restoring for a while now.I just recently moved to the interior section to start addressing some issues. This weekend I pulled the drivers side door panel off because the window channel was flopping around. When I opened it I could see that the former owner chewed out three holes in the door metal to get to the power window motor. Its pretty ugly.I looked at it and guessed he had to replace it but could not access the bolts unless he removed some metal. ill try to get a pic and post. It may give you a comparison . Mine is an 87 d100 with pow windows

Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emnestor
I think there is some major headache involved due to metal being in the way. I have a truck that Ihave been restoring for a while now.I just recently moved to the interior section to start addressing some issues. This weekend I pulled the drivers side door panel off because the window channel was flopping around. When I opened it I could see that the former owner chewed out three holes in the door metal to get to the power window motor. Its pretty ugly.I looked at it and guessed he had to replace it but could not access the bolts unless he removed some metal. ill try to get a pic and post. It may give you a comparison . Mine is an 87 d100 with pow windows

It does seem like the holes wont quite line up, converting to power regulators. That's terrible! I wonder if it was riveted in, and he had issues getting the rivets to let go.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:10 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by Scooter78
It does seem like the holes wont quite line up, converting to power regulators. That's terrible! I wonder if it was riveted in, and he had issues getting the rivets to let go.
sorry about the pic. had to head out of town until Tuesday. yes there are rivets to the left of the holes that hold some part of the assembly. these holes were made to get to the three bolts on the gear/ motor. strange. Hopefully I can remember to snap a pic when I get back. Good luck on your search for the electronics.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Luker

I have a 1987 Dodge D150 that has power windows. I hate them. Seems like they were just not a well designed feature back then. They break every other year. That being said I have wondered how hard it would be to convert them to manual. At this point in time my windows are stuck up. I had to replace the switch. I got a new one from LMC and I am happy with it, however I made a huge mistake. While waiting for the switch to arrive I needed to get the windows up. I removed the wires from the white plastic clip so that I could bypass the switch and move the windows up. This worked, however I can't remember the order of the wires. And I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere that shows that. Any chance one of you could post a picture for me? I would be eternally grateful.

Quick Reply: Convert 1st gen to power windows.