1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

at a loss...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default at a loss...

ok heres my issue:
truck will run awesome when I first start it and at higher rpms. I stop at a stop sign and its a struggle for it to stay running, I put it in neutral and it idles fine but sounds like an old john deere tractor... (makes that put put noise but runs at the correct idle) changed the oil and it went away for about 150 miles but then it started doing it again! also sometimes if im going uphill... like a very large grade percentage (I live on top of a mountain) it will try to chug like its losing a cylinder or something... is it a bad lifter, bent pushrod, timing issue? I just recently replaced the fuel pump so its not that the carb is clean and adjusted properly so im at a loss I don't wanna spend ,ore money than I have to right now since I no longer have a job but its my only vehicle so I need it to run like it should. PLEASE HELP!!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

also theres quite a large blue cloud of oil when I start it regardless if its warmed up or not

Old 06-12-2014, 12:49 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I had a hill/chugging issue that has gone away after a new O2 sensor and a new Oil Pressure sensor. I had already done the other replaceable parts cap rotor wires plugs coil switch plate tps. But with a carb I'm not sure that will change much.
Check the plugs to see which cylinder is burning the oil and ????? Hmm IDk what to do if you find it. I would thinks its a ring job or possibly a head gasket. maybe blue devil makes something?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

yeah carb is a whole different animal... I done even have o2 sensors so that rules those out... ive done all the ignition stuff already so that's all good, seems to be all the plugs look the same so I guess all 8 of em are oil hungry! I was told I should have valve seals done that that might be the problem...

Old 06-13-2014, 12:18 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it stop smoking after its been running for a bit? if you have a timing light you could try checking that, also if you ve done the cap and wires bit in the last while double check that all the wires are on the cap in the right order 18436572 and that both ends of the plug wires are on properly, I've had issues with wires on my truck seeming to be on but not actually on.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

smokes all the time... cap is numbered as well as wires so they are in the right order and I took them off the old cap one at a time so I wouldn't screw it up, it burns about a quart every 150 miles and its a giant blue cloud when I start it..... timing is set to 10 before so I don't think timing is a problem... this sucks usually im pretty good with this stuff I mean I go to friggin college for auto mechanics

Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grantshultz1994
smokes all the time... cap is numbered as well as wires so they are in the right order and I took them off the old cap one at a time so I wouldn't screw it up, it burns about a quart every 150 miles and its a giant blue cloud when I start it..... timing is set to 10 before so I don't think timing is a problem... this sucks usually im pretty good with this stuff I mean I go to friggin college for auto mechanics
That's a lot of oil! If it ain't leaking bad it's probably just worn out.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Another thing occurred to me and that is the kickdown cable adjustment. I'm not sure if they have one on carbed versions but that may also help with the chugging.
As for the blue smoke look at this. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-start-up.html Post#2 seems to be the one you need;
From Cyclone249
1. Piston rings
2. Valve seats valve guide's

if compression test checks out, you can rule out the rings.

valves move up in down in a guide built into the head, over time the valves can wear down and not set properly due to carbon build up.

replacing the selas with out removing the heads can be done, but you need a compressed air source into the spark plug hole, piston has to be TDC to keep the valves drom droping when you remove the nut holding the valve spring.

Popping off the valve covers will show if the seals are dry and worn out.

a little puff out the tail pipe is farly common on a 16 year old engine, as long as your not burning blue going down the road, your ok.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 06-14-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

thanks guys... my hesitation issue was a head gasket pushing coolant into the cylinders but it wasn't enough to make any white smoke out the tail pipe, well it finally let loose as I pulled into my driveway the other day! there was a thud and a very large puff of white out the pipe and my reservoir was boiling and overflowing... as for the smoke now that I have the heads off its the valve guides and the seats they aren't seating correctly and the guides are all worn out so I think im just gonna put 360 heads on her while its apart!!!! a not so smart guy once told me " Breakin' ****, its an excuse for an upgrade"!!!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

oh and the rough idle stuff was because my charcoal canister broke and pushed the pellets into the float bowl and clogged one of the jets.

Quick Reply: at a loss...