1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to put 1 ton leafs in half ton

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Wall-E
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put 1 ton leafs in half ton

Could some one spell out how I would or if I even can put one ton leaf springs in a 83 ram custom d150 2wd short box ?

My truck needs new leaf springs for sure as two leafs in one set are so broken they are missing big chunks out of them.

Now I phoned around for new ones. They said for these trucks the new ones come with five leafs in each pack. My truck originally only had 4 leafs per pack.

Now I DO want to upgrade to something stronger than what the truck originally had. but I dont want to pay the $500 canadian for new leaf springs.

So my plan was to get good used ones from the pick n pull salvage yard. Which are like only $50 (each or for set I dunno?????).

I was wanting to maybe put 1 ton springs in it. So like a 6 pack I guess???? Or whatever it is I dunno?????

The thing is they say these trucks come with either I think 1/2" eyebolts, or 5/8" eyebolts I think it was. My truck has the thinner ones. So the half inch ones.

So my question is does the 3/4 ton trucks (5 packs) and 1 ton trucks (6 packs) all have 5/8" eye bolts?

If so will they not work in my truck period?

Or could they still work if I change out the bushings? Could I put bushings into the 1 ton leaves that will then fit 1/2" eye bolts?

I do have a new set of polyurethane bushings that I think are 1/2" eyebolt thickness as were made for d100 or d150. Would those fit into 1 ton leaf springs?

Also i think those polyurethane bushings are only for the front bushings of the leaf springs. So does that obviously mean id need to buy some new rubber bushings for the back eyelets of the leaf springs?

It is my understanding that polyurethane bushings can just be put in by hand. But rubber bushings would have to be pressed in by special machine. is this all true?

Also could someone with no tools or mechanical know how get the old bushings out , or would i need a mechanic with blwo torch or something to get them out.?

Sorrry if my post makes no real sense since i have no idea what im talking about. this is going to be my first real auto repair i do myself cuz i cant afford no $900 for a shop to fix this issue.

lastly do i use ramps to lift truck for this type of repair or do i have to use jack stands? Id rather use ramps since i dont want to kill myself.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as all the fitting issues go I'm sorry that I can't help you, as I come from the Dakota world. They may actually be the same ones on your d150. They are the 1/2" type. Unless someone here can answer the fitment questions, you'd have to take calipers and measure the inner diameter of the bushing holes on your truck, then do the same with a junkyard truck with 5/8" bolts. If there the same then all you'd have to do is swap out new bushings.

If you're replacing the bushings, you can burn out the old ones. Takes a little time if you only have a propane torch but not that hard. After the bushing is really nice and hot, i use a c-clamp and a big socket as a makeshift press. Now the problem is a that the outer metal bushing does not come out with it and a press is needed to remove those, so if you're using poly bushings you may as well take them to someone with a press to bang the whole **** out at once. After there out you should be able to get the poly bushings in without too much trouble.

I'm not sure what you mean about using ramps vs jack stands. First of all you need the weight off of the suspension in order to remove the leafs so you will need jack stands under the frame and something to support the rear axle after the truck is lifted so you can remove the leafs without the axle dropping on your foot. Secondly, if your frame is in good shape and the stands are on solid ground, jackstands are quite safe. Chock the front wheels.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just looked, looks like the 5/8" spring bolt models use 1 1/4" outer diameter bushings and the 1/2" spring bolt models use 1" OD bushings so I think that's a no go. You may be able to find some good thicker metal sleeves of the right dimension to use to convert the 3/4 to 1/2. Dunno if the leafs themselves will fit in the.hangers with enough.clearance around the bushing housing. Ahhhhhhhh so many I don't knows, sorry op

Last edited by tbugden; 06-22-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Wall-E
Amateur

xjarhead, thanks for link. according to that site it looks like I would need to get a reducer kit to change bigger springs from 5/8" to 1/2". It doesnt look like they make one of those tho.

Which means it looks like I might have to just buy a new set of 5 pack leafs with the 1/2" eyebolts and then install em myself. Unless anyone has any other info.

The local spring store here wants I think $500 for new ones. Anyone know of a canadian supplier i can get em much cheaper?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This post may be a little late, but may help. If I remember right, when I bought my lift kit for my truck. The leaf springs (5 pack) came with bushing kits. The kit had bushings that fit the different bolt sizes, and they all fit the leaf springs. These were Skyjacker springs, and I don't know if Skyjacker springs are similar to other companies. I guess what I am trying to say is you should be able to buy heavier springs and buy 1/2" bushings to put in the springs. If the factory springs are the same as Skyjacker's, then you should be able buy some junkyard springs and new bushings and make it work. I know this is kinda vague, but it might be worth something

Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

the one ton has a diff frame. to handle more loads. the one ton leafs will put such high loads into the frame you might bend your 1/2 ton frame. thats way you dont put a stronger bumper on the rear than the frame. best to lose a bumper than a frame.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So many ways to do this right.
Get springs new.
Get used springs from a 3/4t or 1t.
Get U bolts made to fit.

But, the new springs NEED to be the same width and length eye to eye.
What you could do is buy two sets of springs and add leaves from one to the other.
Kinda chicken **** but it works.
I think 3/4t springs would fit the 1/2 t.
Doesn't mean your truck is now a 3/4t.
More of a heavy 1/2t.
Anything can be done.
Take your measurements and start scouting auto wrecker and pick a parts. Dont only look at Dodges. Something different may work.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:06 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the correct question is, what are you trying to accomplish? You mention repairing a broken leaf spring but why do you need or want a 1 ton leaf pack to replace it? I am asking because for a first time project, you may be jumping into the deep end. As someone mentioned previously, the leaf pack alone doesn't increase its tow capacity. It is a system of parts including the frame. Depending on what you are trying to do, you may just want to replace the broken leaf pack and get an add-a-leaf kit. It will stiffen it up and increase your capacity slightly. Fairly easy to do as well. If you are hell bent for the 1 ton, take measurements between the shackle hanger to shackle attachment point. Leafs should all be 2-1/2" wide. You can drill out the bolt holes on the hanger to the larger size. This way you pick up the leaf spring pack with shackle and bolts. However you will need a drill and large bit or carbide bit to grind it larger. Leaf spring hangers are tough. Cheap drill bits won't do it.

Good luck!

For a guy that has no tools, that is a large leap. A cutting wheel will make short work of rusted ubolts. No compressor or air tools, then you will need a long breaker bar and a length of pipe for a cheater bar. Definitely will want some quality sockets too cause those bad boys are stubborn.

Quick Reply: How to put 1 ton leafs in half ton