1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel puller

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Nico_W350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel puller

Hi,

The signaling switch of my 1984 W350 broke down so will have to remove the steering wheel. It is stuck pretty fast so I'll need a steering wheel puller. Problem is, I don't know which one to order (preferably in the Netherlands) as I don't know the size of the two threaded holes it should fit (my metric bolts don't fit). Would appreciate learning the diameter of the holes (and preferably the pitch as well), or a pointer to a steering wheel puller that works for this car.

Thank you,

Nico

Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I just used a steering wheel puller on my crank balancer. It was a rental and it had three sizes bolts 3/16", 1/4", and what seems like 5/16". That;s from memory but yours will be one of those. Get some short SAE bolts to test if they fit correctly, don;t force it. You can tell pretty easily by just looking at the female hole. If they are very delicate and close together they will be SAE National Fine threads if not SAE National Coarse. I've always gotten by calling out SAE threads by coarse or fine. Anything that needed more specificity would have had other factors attached to it that made that obvious.

SAE= Society of American Engineers

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Nico_W350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! It turned out to be 3/8" UNC (coarse). Steering wheel pullers were not on stock but two 3/8" bolts, a piece of scrap metal and a third bolt did the trick.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel puller