1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TRANS service question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
hokietiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TRANS service question

Hi gang,

Just dropped the transmission pan on my recent purchase (1989 Power Ram 318c.i., 5.2L)....I honestly believe the fluid has never been changed !!...Amber colored fluid and the old paper cork gasket (stuck to pan like glue).

Anyway, the manual says if you let the truck sit for several days, more fluid drains out over time. I guess this is due to the converter seeping.

I have no way of blowing out lines for more fluid drain...ANY SUGGESTIONS on how to remove as much old fluid as possible??...ANY OTHER PROCEDURES I need to perform that will help (limited tools and no garage access)....Does anybody out there like LUCAS TRANS FIX additive?? (I heard it's a good additive for improved trans performance)

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike

Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

iam NOT a trans expert. so if the experts here correct me go with that. just general ideas. if you are not going to put a shift kit in dont take the valve body out. but do pull the filter. and note where the bolts go. the coolant lines are on the left side of the trany. the front is fluid out to the cooler. the rear is fluid in from the cooler and goes to the trany bearings. with both lines at the trany off you might be able to clear out the lines. but some tranys have check valve near the rad. most people say to remove the check valve. cause if the trany makes trash when it goes bad the lube to the bearing is blocked. AND only use steel lines. NO copper lines. and only use high pressure hose if have to use hose. i have found an EXTERNAL filter. the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. ONLY use high pressure hose. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Cmckinney99
Professional

I bought my truck put close to 40 miles on it and the trans screwed up on me dropped the pan took off the filter drove 5 miles into town bought a new filter wen to the store went home and put the new filter on it driven 160 miles since drained for about hour max and it looked like original fluid

cole

Quick Reply: TRANS service question