1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OPINIONS urgently needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:14 PM
hokietiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OPINIONS urgently needed!!!

Folks, I need URGENT HELP concerning my DODGE POWER RAM "W100" truck (5.2L, 318 c.i. EFI with auto trans)

At cold startup, the engine idles nicely for about 30 seconds then begins to idle roughly with frequent episodes of a momentary idle drop to near stall. Most of the time it will catch itself and bump back up to normal idle rpm (still rough) but will occassionally stall out....Never a surge upward in idle telling me that a vacuum leak is probably not the issue.

Here is what I've done so far:

1. Rebuilt / cleaned Throttle body with new gaskets and new O-rings for the fuel injectors.
2. New plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button, and new ignition pickup in the distributor cap.
3. New Idle control solenoid (adjacent to throttle body)
4. New fuel filter
5. New Air filter and PCV valve
6. New O2 sensor.

Also tested the MAP SENSOR (functions properly) and inspected almost all vacuum lines for leaks....Looks like a new EGR valve has been recently installed.
Viewed the fuel injection into the throttle body barrels while idling. Fuel sprayed evenly into the barrels even
just before the idle dropped and stalled the engine (telling me that a lack of fuel flow may not be the issue).

Ran a "key on-key off" code check and got #37 which indicates:

part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver circuit (87-89 models) OR, solenoid coil circuit (85-89 Turbo I-IV models).

Wonder if the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR could be an issue??....I would think that the FUEL SENDING UNIT in the gas tank
may also be an issue but, as mentioned above, I saw NO DIFFERENCE in fuel flow into the Throttle Body barrels when the truck stalled from a drop in the idle rpm.

Again, the truck cranks easily and idles nicely for about 20-30++ seconds at cold startup then begins idling a little rough with abrupt, frequent drops in the idle rpm (almost near stall with an occasional stall). It could still be fuel injector issues because I just don't know enough to be completely accurate.

Also, if I try to immediately recrank the truck after stalling, it is very difficult to restart. However, If I wait about 10-15 seconds, then it restarts easily.

Thanks for all help possible !!

Mike

Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 PM
hokietiger
Question Fuel Injector issue or Fuel sending unit?? (1989 W100, 5.2L V8, EFI throttle body)

Well, I started her up today and after a few minutes, it began the usual stuff of rough idling and near stalling before catching itself ( and sometimes completely stalling)...I viewed the fuel injector gas flow closely under a bright light and noticed a decrease in gas flow when it started to stall (almost appeared like it spit air instead of fuel at a decreased volume- but was probably low fuel volume).... Also, the injectors are making a continuous "girgling" sound.

Is it an injector issue or maybe a "fuel sending unit" issue in the gas tank??

Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM
sls001
Captain

Quick Reply: OPINIONS urgently needed!!!