1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting stock flares.headlight trim. prep/paint help. DIYers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 PM
1stgenram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting stock flares.headlight trim. prep/paint help. DIYers?

I'm wanting to paint my fibreglass stock fender flares and headlight trim black, the flares are a faded black and surface scratched while my headlight trim is a faded gray. Just wondering if anyone on here has done it before and how they did it correctly and how it turned out. what did you use to scuff/sand what paint did you use how did it hold up etc? thanks!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as with any paint, it must be sanded, and clean, any paint will work. but all succumb to the elements over time. clean them with soap and water, and make sure they are dry. get a gallon of prep-all, it's a cleaner that removes any tar, wax, dirt, and grease/oil. wipe them down with that, and dry them. sand them, primer i would say is optional for parts like that, but if you do use 400 wet sand paper with water, and then clean them again with prep-all, and dry them. then any paint of your choosing. i would just use rustoleum, or plasticoat can paint for stuff like that. lasts just as long if done right. and alot cheaper than buying a spray gun, a compressor if you don't have and the paint, activator, clear coat, and the activator for that. and cheaper than having somebody paint them for you. biggest thing with paint, is cleanliness, and proper sanding.

Quick Reply: Painting stock flares.headlight trim. prep/paint help. DIYers?