1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 12v cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 AM
dodgeman41291
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 12v cummins

well recently my old Dodge half ton took a major $H*T and about just stopped running all together, none the less, I bought a 1998 RAM 3500 with the 12V in it. so far the truck has exceeded my expectations for being a 12valve.
I just have a few questions.

1) after I let the truck sit overnight the next morning I go to start it, it pops right off then 15 seconds later she stumbles and stalls. to restart I have to give it half throttle and let it blow all the white smoke out (lack of fuel) then she runs great and idles fine. when i bought the truck on first day she popped right off didn't stall but I'm not sure if the dealer guy had started and drove it before i came just so it would start, to me it sounds like its loosing a prime somewhere but I'm not sure where. is there a check valve anywhere that could be causing this problem that may be stuck.

2) the pump has been turned up a notch, not by me but from previous owner. I can tell because no stock 12V will blow a ton of black smoke when you lay on it in 4th and 5th gear. I mean I smoked the crap out of a cyclist on accident, could the pump being turned up be associated with question 1?

3) currently it has the infinity stock radio in it, I get no sound from the driver front speaker and tweeter. but get sound from the rear just fine. I also get sound from the passenger tweeter but no the pass. door speaker. I replaced head units with chrysler factory radios in hopes on fixing 2 problems one the speaker output problem and it not reading CD's. POS mitsu****y built garbage radio lol. could this be a bad amp in both doors? or just bad wiring or bad speakers.

4) Im trying to keep everything in the cab as factory as possible when it comes to electronics altho i want to get a pyrometer, boost, etc on a piller pod.

5) I went to the dealership and had them program my 2 new RKE transmitters, i also asked them to see if the truck was equipped with the Chrysler VTSS security system, well I watched him program everything and what not apparently the truck has VTSS but its disabled and the DRB reader keeps giving errors as when we want to enable it. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 1998 12v cummins