1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gear Selector adjustment - rough engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Buzzkilll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Selector adjustment - rough engine?

My 1989 Power Ram W100 318 truck's gear selector was not aligning with the gear indicator that it was in, so I adjusted the linkage by the transmission so that it would align. Was simple enough, however, when I did that and drove the truck, it is almost as if it is wanting to stall now. I know there is a linkage that goes to the throttle body that is connected to the shift linkage. Does anyone know how to adjust it to work properly with the new alignment?

When the truck is in idle is responds perfectly to gas being applied and idles fine. It is only when it is in gear that this happens. This new stalling was not an issue before I made this adjustment to the gear selector linkage. My guess is that i somehow need to adjust the other linkage that connects to the throttle body. I did move my gear selector back to the old out of alignment position (or as close as I could get it) and now the truck runs somewhat back to normal...although still a little weird. (feels like someone is pushing the gas pedal every so often giving a back and forth kind of feeling)

Thoughts?

Last edited by Buzzkilll; 08-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Gear Selector adjustment - rough engine?