1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 d150 wont idle stalls no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 PM
gregparson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1986 d150 wont idle stalls no power

Hi I have a 1986 d150 royal se 5.2 2 barrel. The truck ran fine has newer & plugs wires. I ran out of gas and it continued to run fine. After about an hour I turned truck off at a store and it would not start. I put a little gas in carb and it started but kept stalling, I would have to crank it several times and play with the gas pedal to find a spot were it would run. I got it home barely and replaced the fuel pump and filter and sprayed carb cleaner. The problem still exist. When I take it out to test drive here is what happens, crank and start keep pedal at a spot to keep it running or else it dies and hard to start back up, but it starts and i keep the pedal at same spot and try to accelerate, it doesnt have power and kinda increases speed slowly when its time for transmission to shift it shifts late into higher gear. It runs smooth as far as timing goes, I am thinking maybe cat converter clogged? Im baffled and need to fix this fast as its my families income earner. Thank you for any advice or help with this issue

Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Buzzkilll

Just a thought, but have you tried replacing the Fuel filter? With you having run it out of gas, it could be that it sucked up a piece of debris in the tank and is now causing it to not get fuel. That would be my first thing I would try since it is a cheap thing to do.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM
gregparson

Hi thanks for your reply. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. The truck ran fine after running out of gas. Then I stopped and turned it off and problems began. I tried again this morning driving and the transmission seems to be not shifting its winding out until i let up on gas and shifts. This is really screwing me up trying to locate the problem. everything seems in place no unattached lines or hoses. I really need to get this figured quick as I am going broke not working. Thank you for your suggestions

Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Buzzkilll

Originally Posted by gregparson
Hi thanks for your reply. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. The truck ran fine after running out of gas. Then I stopped and turned it off and problems began. I tried again this morning driving and the transmission seems to be not shifting its winding out until i let up on gas and shifts. This is really screwing me up trying to locate the problem. everything seems in place no unattached lines or hoses. I really need to get this figured quick as I am going broke not working. Thank you for your suggestions
It sounds a bit like perhaps your kickdown linkage is messed up. I was tinkering with mine this past weekend and messed it up and the truck was not shifting correctly and even seemed to stall out. Could be something similar. Not sure how that could have happened but with your transmission winding out, and only shifting on the gas release...that would be my guess.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles are on it? i had an 86 d250 with a 318 with over 200,000 miles. i had a similar problem. mine would just stall going down the road driving, it would take forever to get it started, and then it would run for a min. maybe 2, or 3, and sometimes it would just stall immediately after it started. i'd let it sit over night, and it would start, and run fine. i spent months tracking it down. what i found was that the fuel pump runs off a lobe on the end of the cam shaft behind the timing cover, well that lobe wore down after 200,000 plus miles, and would no longer operate the fuel pump the way it was suppose to, so i threw on an electric fuel pump, and never had the problem again. it only has to be a 5 to 8 lb. pump. $50 plus some hose and clamps and some wire is alot cheaper and easier than tearing the front of the motor apart, or paying to have it done. plus the electric pump is an upgrade, easier starts. just a suggestion. is your foot buried to the floor when you drive it? that will keep it from shifting into the next gear unless you let off the throttle. i'm just guessing since you said it has no power, i'm assuming your foot is to the floor. one way to check the cat, is to get it started, and just keep it up in high rpm for a few mins. don't blow the engine, and shut it off, and see if the cat. is glowing red. best done at night.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:35 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the top off the carb and suck the gas out of the float bowl... spray carb cleaner thru the jets to clean them out and make sure your float is adjusted properly, I has a very similar problem last year with my 87's carb and tuned out it was a clogged jet

Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine also ran fine on first startup just once it got warm and didn't need the choke anymore to start it wouldn't run worth anything. kinda like what your saying

Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

back in the day I had to put a cheap auto zone universal electric fuel pump on my 86 prospector, solved all kinds of issues after running that huge 40 gal tank on E

Quick Reply: 1986 d150 wont idle stalls no power