1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EC advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 PM
MopaR_MilitiA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EC advice/help

I have a 1990 dodge w150. It has a 5.9L 360 bored .30 over with 318 heads hooked to a 3 speed 727 transmission with granny gear. It quit charging so and been in the shop for 5 months!!!! I was supposed to pick it up last Saturday but it didn't happen. They tried putting a Chevy alternator with the built in regulator wired directly to try to bypass the regulator in the ECM. When that didn't work I called around and I was told I would have to rewire the ignition or something like that. I took the ECM home with me to try to find one myself and apparently the one that was on it was for a van and that's why it fried, the part number is 4557571. Different sites give me different part numbers so Ive come here as a last resort. One of them tells me I need part number 4557009 which is for an automatic, another tells me I need part number 4557007, and others tell me I need part number 4557005 and I have no idea which one I actually need. The mechanic ordered an ECM but it had two plug ports and I only have one plug. Any help would be appreciate GREATLY, I want my baby home.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just install and external voltage regulator and the computer\fuel injection will be fine with it.

You need to make certain you don't have any electrical shorts, etc if you keep burning up

THe ECM's were the same between Trucks and vans with similar drivelines. The differences were in engine size and trans type.

Attached Thumbnails EC advice/help-preview_external_zps7aa340c8.jpg  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 PM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. Thats all you need to do. Had the same problem.

Quick Reply: EC advice/help