1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I can't find the name of my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 AM
84Dodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't find the name of my transmission

Hey guys, I have an 84 d100 with 225 slant six with a 4 speed manual. I thought I read somewhere that the tranny is a 2 piece or the bell housing can be removed.? I can't remember the name of that transmission and I was going to do an engine swap to a 318. And if I'm correct I could get a v8 bell housing and retain my 4 speed transmission.

Anybody know what transmission was used in my truck and if I can use it with a 318?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by 84Dodger
Hey guys, I have an 84 d100 with 225 slant six with a 4 speed manual. I thought I read somewhere that the tranny is a 2 piece or the bell housing can be removed.? I can't remember the name of that transmission and I was going to do an engine swap to a 318. And if I'm correct I could get a v8 bell housing and retain my 4 speed transmission.

Anybody know what transmission was used in my truck and if I can use it with a 318?
More than likely it is an 833.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM
84Dodger

Ya its an A833 I found some info on this website. http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...modelYear=1984

Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Dave 64
Default A833 Transmission

Hi All,

Firstly, I apologise if I have jumped into someone else's post! Still trying to work my way around the different sites.

I am trying to get onto a section that has/had a bit to do with NP A833 light truck overdrive transmissions. Also called, I think, the NP 440?

I would not have thought that there would have been all that many of these particular versions made it into Australia, unless someone took the time and effort to bring them in privately. Find plenty of earlier NP420/NP435 and even the NP445 (NP4350) close ratio's in locally assembled D5N Dodge trucks. Also believe that GM had a version of the light truck overdrive called the MY6?

Tinkering around with a project based on a combination of AT4/465 Dodge truck (locally made) 318/NP435/Dana 70 (4.88:1) on 31x10.5x15 wheels/tyres. Ford 1968 F350 chassis.

Like a lot of these early girls, hopelessly geared with that diff ratio/wheel size/ direct granny low transmission. Looking at alternatives, so far late model Dodge/GM A833/MY6 cast iron 1980's up OVERDRIVE trans looks like it could be a good match?. Reasonable first gear (synchro), good spread, plus around the 0.7-0.8:1 O'D, sounds like it MAY be an option?

Seem to be getting MANY conflicting answers on different forums, also availability and if I could source one, actually getting it over here. So, thought I would try the experts. Any help, or direction would be certainly appreciated. If I have posted in the wrong section, please feel free to redirect this.

One of the things I don't seem to be able to nail down, is just how much these tranny's will take? Differing opinions on some say they are too light, only a car transmission, others say they have had them behind 426-440 engines? If so, Don't think 318 truck engine(on LPG) would hurt them? Only a weekend "toy" so not as if it is a working truck, although if ever I get it going, would at least want it to be able to tow a 2 tonne caravan or horse float.

Thanks for any help, and once again if I have cut into someone's post, I apologise.

Cheers, Dave 64

Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dave 64
Hi All,

Firstly, I apologise if I have jumped into someone else's post! Still trying to work my way around the different sites.

I am trying to get onto a section that has/had a bit to do with NP A833 light truck overdrive transmissions. Also called, I think, the NP 440?

I would not have thought that there would have been all that many of these particular versions made it into Australia, unless someone took the time and effort to bring them in privately. Find plenty of earlier NP420/NP435 and even the NP445 (NP4350) close ratio's in locally assembled D5N Dodge trucks. Also believe that GM had a version of the light truck overdrive called the MY6?

Tinkering around with a project based on a combination of AT4/465 Dodge truck (locally made) 318/NP435/Dana 70 (4.88:1) on 31x10.5x15 wheels/tyres. Ford 1968 F350 chassis.

Like a lot of these early girls, hopelessly geared with that diff ratio/wheel size/ direct granny low transmission. Looking at alternatives, so far late model Dodge/GM A833/MY6 cast iron 1980's up OVERDRIVE trans looks like it could be a good match?. Reasonable first gear (synchro), good spread, plus around the 0.7-0.8:1 O'D, sounds like it MAY be an option?

Seem to be getting MANY conflicting answers on different forums, also availability and if I could source one, actually getting it over here. So, thought I would try the experts. Any help, or direction would be certainly appreciated. If I have posted in the wrong section, please feel free to redirect this.

One of the things I don't seem to be able to nail down, is just how much these tranny's will take? Differing opinions on some say they are too light, only a car transmission, others say they have had them behind 426-440 engines? If so, Don't think 318 truck engine(on LPG) would hurt them? Only a weekend "toy" so not as if it is a working truck, although if ever I get it going, would at least want it to be able to tow a 2 tonne caravan or horse float.

Thanks for any help, and once again if I have cut into someone's post, I apologise.

Cheers, Dave 64
This will help http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-s...fourspeed1.htm
http://www.brewersperformance.com/history.htm
The A833 OD trans was available with steel and aluminum case. try to find steel case.

Dave

Old 11-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Dave 64
Default Thanks

Thanks for the leads re A833 O'drive. Looks like the ideal one would be the 75-89 Dodge light truck cast iron version,(3.09:1 first gear) but would it fit the earlier mid sixties 318/NP 435 bellhousing? Or, different pattern? Would that version have ever came out in both 2 and 4WD versions?

Have found a few of these kicking around on differing sites, but also may be stuck with the 4.84" index hole, but maybe could get that machined out to take truck 5.125"? Output spline NOT critical EXCEPT want to keep the outlet spline housing as short as possible.

Have been in contact with Jamie Passon, but need more info before I go badgering him too much more, been extremely helpful so far.

Cheers, Dave64

Quick Reply: I can't find the name of my transmission