1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I imagine 1st gen is the place for me..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Mustards12s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I imagine 1st gen is the place for me..

New member here, so please excuse the noob status. So I bought a really clean 1985 2wd Ram150, it is an SE .. Is I think that is a D150?
Anyway it has the 318 which purrs wonderfully, but I know it has rear end issues. I get the clunk in reverse and it is loud, the U Joints are new (although I don't think installed all the way).. Here is a better diagnosis of the suspect rear end.. Cruising 20 mph or so (or any speed, I assume) if I select N on the 727 i hear a thump thump thump..changes with speed I think.. I will do some more testing later if I have time. I think that a rear diff rebuild is in her future.. any thoughts? I have never worked on a diff. Would a shop murder me on it, are these rear ends easy to find? What is the best way to approach this? Thanks yall.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 AM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go to almost ANY junkyard and find at least a few first gens in there somewhere... so id try there first

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustards12s
New member here, so please excuse the noob status. So I bought a really clean 1985 2wd Ram150, it is an SE .. Is I think that is a D150?
Anyway it has the 318 which purrs wonderfully, but I know it has rear end issues. I get the clunk in reverse and it is loud, the U Joints are new (although I don't think installed all the way).. Here is a better diagnosis of the suspect rear end.. Cruising 20 mph or so (or any speed, I assume) if I select N on the 727 i hear a thump thump thump..changes with speed I think.. I will do some more testing later if I have time. I think that a rear diff rebuild is in her future.. any thoughts? I have never worked on a diff. Would a shop murder me on it, are these rear ends easy to find? What is the best way to approach this? Thanks yall.
i would go the route of a rebuilt one. Most of the rear ends in junk yard are just as old and will need rebuilding soon also. Call Dr. Diff and see what he thinks. He will get you going in the right direction.

http://www.doctordiff.com/

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emnestor
i would go the route of a rebuilt one. Most of the rear ends in junk yard are just as old and will need rebuilding soon also. Call Dr. Diff and see what he thinks. He will get you going in the right direction.

http://www.doctordiff.com/
not everyone is made of money, and you can get some great junkyard parts if you know what your looking for

Quick Reply: I imagine 1st gen is the place for me..