1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

87 Dodge Ran 150 custom 5.2L Major Help plz!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcchiefs2318
Hey guys i was just reading through this post and had a question it sounds like one of you may be able to answer. My head gasket blew last week and i replaced them today. I just unwrapped my intake manifold gaskets i ordered and they are metal... Is this normal? Do i need any kind of sealant with them? Also the head gaskets left small tabs sticking out in the front and rear of the lifter valley, is this normal? Do i cut them off or fold them under the cork end pieces of the manifold gasket? Thank you for any help you can offer, I now have to go to the parts store because they sent me an oil pan gasket set with two front seals and no rear seal...
Sounds like what you have is a "crush gasket" most commonly aluminum on one side. Ive never come across one myself for the intake manifold. You definately will use the crush style on the exhaust manifold. as far as using a sealant around the intake gasket.....some people will run a small bead around each openong on the head before putting the intake gasket on. I think in your case you will be fine with out it.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 AM
scorchedwynd

Hey guys rhanks for all your reply's. I got it fixed I rebuilt the carb from top to bottom. It cost me under 40 bucks. It has a Holley 6280 from a dakota with the 6 cyl. It will fire right up, no more white smoke. I haven't let it run long either. only had a gallon of gas to put in it. ill have pics up soon.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:35 PM
scorchedwynd

Hey guys, got it fixed. rebuilt the carb. runs great but stills idles rough as hell. i think i'm leaking from around the exhaust manifold but i dont know what. It looks like oil but the motor is so saturated with it i cant tell what it is. It feels like oil my oil is black. It does smoke from only around the headers though. my oil pressure gauge will bounce when I turn the key on. after it starts it will go back normal. The coolant gauge doesn't work at all. the breather tube from the exhaust has a white grayish smoke like if you spill oil on the motor. its on the number 1 and 2 cylinder.

Name:  20141108_120111.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  20141108_115728.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  62.3 KB

Old 11-09-2014, 11:42 AM
KevenP
Rookie

Clean the engine, then check for leaks. Looks like the valve cover gaskets are leaking.
I've had good luck using Easy Off oven cleaner.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
scorchedwynd

thanks kevin thats what it was. The bolts wouldnt tight enough.i need some new ones. i just got the carburator straighten out.

Last edited by scorchedwynd; 11-09-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:14 PM
KevenP
Rookie

Originally Posted by scorchedwynd
thanks kevin that's what it was. The bolts wouldn't tighten enough.
You're welcome. Then you need to pull the valve covers and replace the gaskets. I recommend using rubber or rubber coated gaskets. Put sealant on
one side, that way you can take them off if needed.
You don't need to tighten the bolts up much, use a nut driver if possible.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 PM
scorchedwynd

i did she runs great except one thing my idle has be turned all the way up to idle in gear.it just started to not wanting to run while in gear. it just died started right back up then when i put it in gear it died but started right back up. then thats when i turned the idle all the way up.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Jakewbgovs46

Originally Posted by scorchedwynd
I bought this awesome truck. I fell in love with it instantly. heres the list of things I need help with, i know nothing about any trucks.

It has the v8 318 with the holley 6280 from 87 dakota 3.9L
The truck has the California emissions thing on it. so the vacuum is all messed up. It idles rough, the top idle has to be set fully screwed in to idle half way decent. 10 min. idle results in a 1/8 of a tank of gas. blows white smoke from around the erg valve, choke holes and out the tail pipe. i did notice what looks like oil coming from around the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. also acts like the times is turned to far up.

Theres a clunk from the drive train when going from reverse to drive and back. thought it was the universal joints nope. torque converter maybe?
The clunk is the u joints. Not really a major problem.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 PM
newtjr
Amateur
Default Will not idle/smokes

I think what you are saying you have adjusted the base idle to get it to run. the idle mixture screws are on the side of the metering block at the front fuel bowl. Try turning the mixture screw in till is is very lightly seated and back off about 1 1/2-2 1/2 turns. It is possible you have a stopped up cat. try running the truck with the egr disconnected and also you could change oil (see if water comes out with the oil) and see if the oil stays clean. Hope this helps, newtjr

Quick Reply: 87 Dodge Ran 150 custom 5.2L Major Help plz!!!!