1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rusted Frame @ Rear Leaf Sprint Hanger

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:46 PM
kc8mln
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Rusted Frame @ Rear Leaf Sprint Hanger

The frame rails are rusted at the rear leaf spring hangers to the point that I can fit a baseball in the hole. There are NO other areas of frame rust on the truck, just localized to the two large rust holes on each frame rail at the rear leaf spring hangers.

I have already tried to source replacement rear leaf spring hangers and I guess they are no longer in production.

I'm guessing that I'll have to "plate" the frame by welding reinforcement plates over the holes and install a new leaf spring hanger that is compadable with my leafs.

My question is:
Has anyone else run into this same problem of having to "plate" their frame at the rear leaf spring hangers?..and, if so, how did you actually conduct the repair.

Side note: Aside from this rust issue, there is NO other rust on the frame and body of the truck, so I DO want to keep the truck and not part it out or scrap it, as that would just be a waste.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:39 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you tried to find leaf spring perches and they didn't exist?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:46 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Part number 2 under Rear Suspension http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/dc/full.aspx?Page=63
Is that what your looking for?

Dave

Old 10-11-2014, 11:02 AM
sls001
Captain
Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had to plate my frame, but I have contemplated shortening it. For what its worth, I had planned to remove about 18-20" of frame from the straight part in front of the rear leaf, weld the two ends together, then using the frame steel I would have removed, make a steel reinforcement plate that would be welded on the edges, and also strategically placed about six 1/2 grade 8 bolts through the plate and frame.
All that being said, you could likely do the same thing, to replace your rusted section.

Quick Reply: Rusted Frame @ Rear Leaf Sprint Hanger