1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 d150 lift problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 PM
thomas91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 d150 lift problems

I have an 86 d150 and every lift kit I've found (rough country,skyjacker) is only for a w150. Where could I find a 4inch front&rear "suspension"lift kit. Not spacers or body lift.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:49 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too searched for a 4" lift for a long time for my 91 D150. Talked with several companies and people in the know and discovered that the control arms and ball joints limit us to 2" of lift. This can easily be done with 2" lift coil springs for the front. The rear is the same as a W150. Eaton Spring or Coil Spring Specialties can do this for you. When I did mine, the rebound bumper under the control arm rested right on the shock tower until the coil spring broke in and softened up. Offroading it shredded that 20 year old rubber in no time . I bought some poly bumpers and then recently found some short/wide bumpers at Pep Boys Speed shop.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 AM
LowNSloan86

Originally Posted by SixGun
I too searched for a 4" lift for a long time for my 91 D150. Talked with several companies and people in the know and discovered that the control arms and ball joints limit us to 2" of lift. This can easily be done with 2" lift coil springs for the front. The rear is the same as a W150. Eaton Spring or Coil Spring Specialties can do this for you. When I did mine, the rebound bumper under the control arm rested right on the shock tower until the coil spring broke in and softened up. Offroading it shredded that 20 year old rubber in no time . I bought some poly bumpers and then recently found some short/wide bumpers at Pep Boys Speed shop.
Was there anything else you replaced in the front? Did you go with the HD or SD springs? I am running the Superlift 2" leaf block lift kit in the rear and was going to install coil spring spacers but the ones that I ordered don't fit on the top of the coils.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 PM
SixGun
Veteran

I used coil spring spacers on a 85 Ramcharger 2wd recently. They fit no problem using the application of 94 Dodge 1500 2wd 2" lift. Post up a link to the spacers you used. Are you sure you used 2wd vs 4wd. They are different. Not sure what you mean by HD/SD coil springs. Coil Spring Specialties asks a list of questions about your truck and builds custom coils for your application. The most important thing I did was to rebuild the front end with new upper/ lower ball joints, new upper/ lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, new idler arm, new center link, and new inner/ outer tie rods. Since I did a body lift, I used a Borgeson steering shaft. Drives so much nicer now.

Last edited by SixGun; 12-26-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:04 PM
LowNSloan86

Originally Posted by SixGun
I used coil spring spacers on a 85 Ramcharger 2wd recently. They fit no problem using the application of 94 Dodge 1500 2wd 2" lift. Post up a link to the spacers you used. Are you sure you used 2wd vs 4wd. They are different. Not sure what you mean by HD/SD coil springs. Coil Spring Specialties asks a list of questions about your truck and builds custom coils for your application. The most important thing I did was to rebuild the front end with new upper/ lower ball joints, new upper/ lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, new idler arm, new center link, and new inner/ outer tie rods. Since I did a body lift, I used a Borgeson steering shaft. Drives so much nicer now.
Eaton has th option between standard and heavy duty springs. the spacers i bought were for a 2WD but the way they sit on top of the coil sketches me out...i have new bushings and ball joints ready to go in once i mange to get the old ones out (they are being stubborn pains in the ***)

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM
SixGun
Veteran

Pictures would help to see the problem with the coil spring pad. I would call Eaton to ask the difference but I would think that HD is stiffer like for D250 or plow option.

As for the bushings, burn the rubber out with a propane torch and pound the sleeves out with a BFH. An air chisel can make it a little easier. The ball joints need a special socket and an air compressor. A breaker bar won't do it.

Last edited by SixGun; 12-30-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 1986 d150 lift problems