1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1991 d150 producing steam

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM
shenanigan-d150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 d150 producing steam

5.2l 318 This problem I can't figure out! When the motor get warm I get steam coming out of the breather on the pass valve cover. Its causing milky oil in the top half but doesn't seem to be transferring to the lower. Also my dipstick gets milky but after a clean it a few times I see the good oil in the pan. What can be causing this?

Old 12-01-2014, 12:22 PM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shenanigan-d150
5.2l 318 This problem I can't figure out! When the motor get warm I get steam coming out of the breather on the pass valve cover. Its causing milky oil in the top half but doesn't seem to be transferring to the lower. Also my dipstick gets milky but after a clean it a few times I see the good oil in the pan. What can be causing this?
It is either a blown head gasket or a cracked block/ head. Go to your local parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. It simply attaches to your radiator cap. Pump it up to about 18-20 psi and let it sit. Start looking around the block etc to try to fins any leaks. Likely it will lead you to the cause. Also do compression checks on each cylinder. If one of them is near the blown head gasket etc... youl find it to have lower compression.

Quick Reply: 1991 d150 producing steam