1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1987 Ram 150

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
jpi2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Ram 150

I have a 87 dodge ram 150, 2wd, 2barrel carb, no AC. 318 engine. I am having issues with it running properly, when the timing is right on it idles great, but when i put in gear it either stalls or runs like it is being starved for gas. when i advance the timing it slams into gear, but runs better unless you punch the gas and then starts chugging again. i have replaced the carb, a used one though. New plugs, wires cap and rotor. new fuel pump, and filter, and even new timing chain.

dont know what else i can say, ask questions and ill try to answer.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 AM
biggyfries

I wonder what the fuel filter looks like. How old is the fuel? Damned ethanol!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Jakewbgovs46

I can be a few things:
1 the carb could actually be flooding it out. If check the throttle on the carb. Mine has done that before.

2 it could be bad gas or a clogged fuel filter

3 but it is most likely vacuum lines. You actually only need the vacuum line that comes from the valve into the side of the breather. And the small line that is connected into the bottom of the breather beside the carb and runs to the extended part of the breather. The other lines you can block off with a bolt or screw. The line that comes from the exhaust manifold and hooks into the breather is more of a problem than a benifit. It puts back air from the exhaust into the breather. The air is dirty and causes the truck to run funny. I didn't think it would fix my buds d-150 but it did

Quick Reply: 1987 Ram 150