1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pressure problem??.....help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 PM
hokietiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure problem??.....help!!!

I have a 1989 Dodge Power Ram W100, 318 c.i., 4x4, Auto Trans with throttle body fuel injection.

I have completed the following as general maintenance....Rebuilt throttle body, new O2 sensor, new plugs, new wires, new distributor cap and rotor button, new ignition pickup in distributor, new PCV valve, new Air Filter, and new Fuel Filter....Original Fuel injectors appear to be functioning OK but was also wondering if they need replacing. They are original to the truck.

Starts OK cold....Can drive for several miles OK. Stop for 15-20 mins and then try to restart with no luck until it cools down 15++ minutes later.
Also, at times, I can start it cold and the idle with bog down and go back up continuously. And sometimes, it will start nicely when cold and idle perfectly. I've checked on possible vacuum leaks and have none.

I bought the truck from a one owner and I know for sure the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR and the in-tank FUEL PUMP have never been replaced.

Frustrating!!

Thanks for all help!!

Mike

Old 12-19-2014, 02:15 PM
sls001
Captain

Have you checked for codes? Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check?

A hot start issue is more likely a problem in the ignition (pick up coil)

Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

My brothers 87 Comanche did same thing started when cold but when hot would not start. The temp sensor for the computer was telling the computer the engine was cold.
So the computer was flooding the engine.
Replaced temp sensor and all was good.

Dave

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure problem??.....help!!!