1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power to Manual window conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Pyroneus Dawnlight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power to Manual window conversion help

Hello everyone, I'm at my wits end with my truck right now, so I'm turning to the forums for help. I have an '87 Dodge D150 with power windows, but, due to some warping on the door metal, the power window motors won't stay in place and often will disengage from the regulator gears. I really just want to switch to manual windows. I've always hated power windows, because these ones consistently break on me, but now I just can't fix them anymore, they come loose within two days no matter how tight I get them. My question is, are there any years of this truck that I can use the manual regulators off of, or even better, manual regulators for this year? I love driving this truck with the windows down but I can't keep tightening bolts every day or two. I am willing to drill and cut the door if need be, but from what I've seen on my doors, there's definitely a cutout that looks like you could add manual windows (a cutout for the manual crank under where the power window switches are). Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 PM
phantom197

Hi, I also want to switch to from power windows to manual. My drivers side window does not work. Were you ever able to get it to work?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Pyroneus Dawnlight

I did actually! I was unsure which regulators would work, but I've come to understand most of these trucks have the exact same body setups. I used the manual regulators from an 82 if I recall, but I believe any truck with the manual regulators will be the same setup. I'm still in the process of making a plate to fill the hole in the door panel where the switches were, as the space is now taken by the crank handle, and I'm attempting to keep my power door locks. If you don't want/have the door locks on your vehicle, you could easily make a plate to cover the hole up. I'll post a picture sometime in the future when I get it done, it's too cold to be working on it right now.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:07 PM
phantom197

Originally Posted by Pyroneus Dawnlight
I did actually! I was unsure which regulators would work, but I've come to understand most of these trucks have the exact same body setups. I used the manual regulators from an 82 if I recall, but I believe any truck with the manual regulators will be the same setup. I'm still in the process of making a plate to fill the hole in the door panel where the switches were, as the space is now taken by the crank handle, and I'm attempting to keep my power door locks. If you don't want/have the door locks on your vehicle, you could easily make a plate to cover the hole up. I'll post a picture sometime in the future when I get it done, it's too cold to be working on it right now.
Sounds good. My truck has the special tan/brown exterior part of the prospector package and has the royal se. The drivers side window is busted and so is the door panel. The fake wood is gone and it looks pretty bad. I might just try to find some manual door panels though I might not be able to have power locks then... Not sure. I might just try to fix the power window. It depends if I ever fix the door panel. It would either be buy new or junkyard used. The hard thing is finding the right color and fake wood of the royal se.

Quick Reply: Power to Manual window conversion help