1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What sensors do I need? Carb 318

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Garrettreidh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sensors do I need? Carb 318

I have a 90 d150, putting a carb 318 engine in it. I have an oil pressure sensor and water temp on the way. Is their anything else I need? I can't think of what else. This engine is completely bare when it comes to sensors and wires. It is a crate engine. The truck was originally TBI.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Those two should be it. Though you will need a fuel pressure regulator to dumb the pressure down to around 6 psi or so. Whatever carb you get should tell you in the manual what pressure you need. Something I'd really suggest, especially with a new crate engine, would be an HEI set-up. I got a distributor with 8 mm wires off eBay for I think $80. It made a huge difference on my warmed up 360. Everything is inside the dist., so just a one wire hook up.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Nothing wrong with the oe set up if it is in good working shape(electronic not points). An upgrade would be a msd6a. Made a big difference in my power wagon(78) Faster starts better mpg and performance.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:44 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

That's what I love about the HEI set up. It's a night and day difference. Can't beat the price or simplicity �� But to each his own.

Quick Reply: What sensors do I need? Carb 318