1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can electric fuel pump cause explosion

Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 AM
RM-D150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can electric fuel pump cause explosion

Well I recently put a new fuel pump on my Dodge D150. My truck (only Vehicle) would not start I did not know for sure why. But fuel pump fixed it. Now I wonder with all of the wires being electic in the gas in the gas tank. and the electric motor on the pump itself. Do the fuel pump ever cause explosions? Could a fuel pump be tampered with to be more likely to cause an explosion. I ask because my helper (and money loaner to buy pump) had me wait at home while he went and bought pump and it did seem to take forever I did not have stuff to keep busy with on project while he was away.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Unlikely! For an "explosion" to happen you need the correct amount of gas vapor and oxygen along with a spark. A lot of people don't know but the fuel pump motor itself is submersed in gasoline. I think people get this impression from watching Hollywood action movies. Even with ideal conditions you wont see that kind of explosion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can electric fuel pump cause explosion