1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

91 W250 3/4 Ton -- Rear brakes in question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 AM
pachudzik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 W250 3/4 Ton -- Rear brakes in question

I recently picked up a 91 W250 3/4 ton, and my first project is to get the brakes working well since I will be using it to haul lots of firewood... I bought new 12" drums for the rear along with 12 x 2 1/2" shoes to match what was already on there.. The drums and shoes are identical in dimension to what's being replaced, but I am concerned that I actually have 3" drums on the truck and that the shoes were incorrectly matched by that last person to do the rear brakes. The drums are over 3" deep of usable braking surface.

Haynes manual doesn't offer specific info about which models came with what brakes, so any tips on how to figure out what size shoes I should be running? Is it common for braking surface of the drums to be about 5/8" wider than the shoes?

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM
overheadmw1

Spicer 70hd is the 3". If the drum is 3+ inch deep, go with the 3", and while your there put all new hardware and wheel cylinder, might as well check your axle seals and repack inspect the bearings, replace if you see any discolored metal, wear, or gritty grease....do it all and be done!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM
pachudzik

that's what I wanted to hear! thanks

Quick Reply: 91 W250 3/4 Ton -- Rear brakes in question