1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!!!! 1990 w-250

Old 11-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Raymond0609
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! 1990 w-250

I am trying to convert from auto hub to manual and never seen anything like this set-up. Can't even get the rotor off.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Billybob09

That hub you have to take the c clip off, then pull out that gear, then take off the outside spindle nut, then the retainer, then the inside spindle nut and the whole hub and rotor will slide off the spindle/axle as an assembly. To disconnect the rotor from the hub you have to beat the lug studs out. 5lb hammer and an inch thick piece of rebar works good. Also to pull the spindle nuts off you have to get a special spindle nut tool. Its a four prong 2 3/16" i believe. The gear i mentioned will slide out via a screwdriver in one of the gear holes. the retainer just slides out. (its a ring with a bunch of holes in it.) When you put it back together the retainer has a notch that has to be lined up and the inner spindle nut has a knub on it that one of the holes in the retainer lines up with. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Raymond0609

Originally Posted by Billybob09
That hub you have to take the c clip off, then pull out that gear, then take off the outside spindle nut, then the retainer, then the inside spindle nut and the whole hub and rotor will slide off the spindle/axle as an assembly. To disconnect the rotor from the hub you have to beat the lug studs out. 5lb hammer and an inch thick piece of rebar works good. Also to pull the spindle nuts off you have to get a special spindle nut tool. Its a four prong 2 3/16" i believe. The gear i mentioned will slide out via a screwdriver in one of the gear holes. the retainer just slides out. (its a ring with a bunch of holes in it.) When you put it back together the retainer has a notch that has to be lined up and the inner spindle nut has a knub on it that one of the holes in the retainer lines up with. Good luck.
Thanks Billybob09! I did get it apart earlier today and want to change to manual hubs. Got the new drive knuckle and bearings in now can't get the locking hub to go far enough in. And the old auto gear won't either. I know I am missing something can't figure it out. Thanks for your help

Old 12-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Billybob09

The hub should slide right on as long as you have the same size bearings and didn't change the spindle. The head you have to turn until the teeth on it line up with the teeth on the inside of the hub. If that doesn't work then it sounds like either the bearing is in backwards wrong size or you don't have the inner spindle nut screwed in all the way. The inner nut should be torqued to like 50lbs.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Billybob09

Gear not head. Sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!!! 1990 w-250