1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slant 6 to 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 PM
bigred95
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slant 6 to 400

Hey guys, first time posting in the first gen forums, I frequent the 2nd Gen forums I just came across a 400 from the 70s, not sure what it came out of (my guess is a new yorker) as well as an 85 d150 with a 225 and a833 trans. Clearly by the title I'm doing an engine swap but couldn't find much on the subject. 400 was auto so I know a hole needs to be drilled for a pilot bearing, but I'm having difficulty deciding on a flywhee, preferably as cheap as possible lol. Also, at autozone the same starter is listed for the 400 and 225, can I reuse the starter? I don't have the truck apart yet but I feel the input shaft is going to be a 23 spline where I believe I'll need an 18, as well as the bellhousing. So if anyone knows of one for sale let me know other than that I'm just looking for pointers if anyone has done it before. I've seen a lot of 440s, but not 400s. Thanks in advance

Old 01-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Not familiar with the 6 cylinder trucks but i would imagine some bracketry needs to be replaced-modded to mount a 400. The 440 and 400 are both big blocks and have the same type of motor mount so that shouldn't be an issue. You can look up the casting # on the side of the block and it will tell you some details about it.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

Although the starter will "fit" there where some differences in the motor length. The longer ones had more torque than the shorter ones. Good luck with trying to find one at the local parts store because to them they are all the same. Use the starter you have and if it dies try to find one with the longer motor. This guy likes to hear himself talk and not to sure about all he says but you can see the difference between the two.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM
bigred95
Veteran

Yeah that's what I figured about the starters. It'll be a long while before this is running. I found a pretty good deal on a balanced flywheel today so I'll pick that up. As for the motor mounts, there's a performance website that sells a full kit of engine mounts with the oil pan, dip stick etc

Old 01-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Motor mounts you can get anywhere, Not exactly sure what is needed with a 6 cyl k frame. Do you have the brackets that go from the block to the motor mount itself on the 400?

Old 01-24-2016, 12:09 AM
bigred95
Veteran

I do not believe so, but I haven't had time to start this project yet so I haven't taken a real good look at everything I need. This is the kit I was looking at:bhttp://www.bpeusa.com/BPEtruckKit.asp I believe I can get the mounts on the engine side separately. Once the snows gone we're probably going to pull the truck into the garage and start pulling the engine. Then I'll have a better view on everything

Quick Reply: Slant 6 to 400