1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil flow problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:15 PM
jrb6789@msn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil flow problem?

I have an 82 Ram D250 with a 318 it spun a rod bearing bringing it back from NM. to CO. I had the oil changed At jiffy lube the day before. the pictures show the filter they installed and The size every parts store recommended. from talking to other dodge enthusiasts tell me that the filter they in stalled will not allow enough flow for the rear cylinders on the older 318 engines. Do you agree? jiffy lube refuses to help with the repairs on my dads truck.

The T3600 is from Jiffy Lube the Microgard is what size and style every part store calls for on my engine.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

As you can see it's a elcheapo generic filter, I hear some of those quick oil change places use recycles oil also. Don't expect them to use quality stuff because it cuts into their profit margin. Best to do it yourself so at least you know what's going in your motor. What caused the spun bearing? Usually lac of oil will do it but you should have had the idiot light come before the damage occurred. I doubt it was there fault unless you can prove otherwise. Just about all filters have a bypass in then so if the filter gets clogged it will still supply oil to the motor. I'm surprised they didn't use the small filter used on the 1990 and up motors. Chrysler has been using the fram PH8A type filer since the 50's(until they changed to the smaller one sometime in the late 80's). When it comes to filter size larger is better. What kind of condition was the engine in? Mileage, oil pressure before this happened?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:11 PM
jrb6789@msn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Moparite I agree on doing it yourself I usually do. the engine was fairly new/rebuilt crate engine about three years old with less than 40,000 miles on it. It had been to Corpus Cristi tx a few times and to Denver Co. area a couple of times. Which is where I'm from. never had a problem. no oil pressure gauge in truck and no idiot light. I was picking up truck in NM. after dad passed and bringing to CO. took to jiffy lube the day before I left drove from Jiffy lube to moms Parked truck left next morning made it about 300 miles and bearing spun. I should have checked every thing from jiffy lube but did not. I assumed they knew what they were doing. I will never make that mistake again and I hope everyone who reads this Don't make the same mistake.

Quick Reply: Oil flow problem?