1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

starter not engaging when trying to start it just spins 82 D 150 Slant 6

Old 06-18-2016, 11:15 PM
earwig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was my car I would put a screwdriver in the hole where the starter was and try to turn the flywheel with the screwdriver on the teeth of the flywheel. With the rear spark plug out see if the piston is coming up. If that does not work. Drop the pan and do the same procedure. That should tell the story.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Jason Wood

I have same problem took dust cover off the flywheel is spinning the motor is notlooks terminal to me any way I got to drop transmission to see ill post again when I find out what's up the motor is also spinning when I turn it from the front its not locked up the van was running like a top before it quit.

Last edited by Jason Wood; 11-18-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 AM
earwig

The starter can work on a bench test but is the starter drive kicking in. To eliminate the ring gear slipping on the flywheel. Stick a large screwdriver in on the teeth and turn the flywheel. Have a friend look at the front crankshaft pulley to see if it is turning when you are using the screwdriver. Remove the plugs for easier turning. Also you can have the friend hold his finger in the #6 plug hole as you turn with the screwdriver to see if any compression.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 AM
flipmann
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jason Wood sorry fellas haven't came back with what I found to be the problem with my 82 Jason you know how you said the flywheel moves? Check this out the ring gear on the flywheel on my truck would just spin around the flywheel. That is why I thought the starter was screwed and all that. If I held the ring gear and moved the fly wheel the ring gear would stay in place and the fly wheel would move. That is why my first assumption was the crank shaft. Check and make sure the ring gear isn't slipping on you. If it does then you can buy a new ring gear for 20 bucks at the parts house instead of a 100.00 for a new fly wheel and ring gear. If the ring gear is bad get the new one and you will have to heat it up with a torch red hot because they shrink around the fly wheel. Tap it on the fly wheel and let it cool Ba Da Bing Ba Da Boom you are in bidness home boy. My old ring gear had a small indentation that was looking like a small crack but hadn't cracked yet but just that little shift in the integrity of the metal made it loose so good luck brother and I hope you have the same problem as me and nothing more then a loose ring gear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starter not engaging when trying to start it just spins 82 D 150 Slant 6