1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door opens w/key only!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:37 PM
chrisfrog1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Door opens w/key only!

1989 dodge w250
Power door locks.
The problem was that my passenger side door was only opening with the key and would open intermittently from the inside by the handle. There is an access cover on the door above the latch. Then the door panel comes off. Fairly simple just becareful after you get the screws and metal handle off to pry gently around the perimeter do that you don't break lose your clips.

Since the door was only opening with the key in the lock and turning it while I press the button that was my first clue. With the panel off you can see how the rods mechanically make things work. Well my problem was on that lock cylinder rod.

It goes from the cylinder to the latch and then a second rod attaches from latch and down to the power lock motor. What I ultimately determined was that that connection of rods was not having enough movement to allow me to open door. I disconnected the rod at the power lock motor and now I have a greater range of motion allowing for door to open and close without key.

I was stumped for awhile but I got hotter on trail when I bent that rod on the lock cylinder then the key wouldn't even open door. I had to figure out how to open through access panel. Tried a few things with the rods and finally got it done.

Although it's just a temp fix because I think the actual problem was that power lock motor down in corner was restricting the range of motion. But I don't have to let my passenger in with a key anymore like I am mr manners.

Anyway I know it's a little difficult to understand without pics but I hope it helps someone. This is what the door looks like after the panel and inner plastic film have been removed.

Attached Thumbnails Door opens w/key only!-image.jpeg