1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 W-150. Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 PM
papadill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 W-150. Wont start

Hi everyone. Ive got a 93 W-150 with a 5.2, manual transmission. It wont start. Its been an ongoing issue for a while. The auto shutdown relay and fuel pump relay used to "chatter" for a minute or longer, then the fuel pump would start and then the truck would start. Now it won't do that.Another issue that has started is, when you turn the ignition on, the odometer will start turning. Ive added a hundred or more miles and the truck hasn't even moved.
When you turn the ignition to the run position all you get is oil pressure light. No fuel pump, check engine or anything else. If you lift the hood you can hear a very high pitch noise coming from the ECM. Could that be the problem of everything? My mechanic said the computer is ok, but he's a Ford guy. Sorry about the use of the "F" word. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

My mechanic said the computer is ok
And how did he determine that?

When you turn the ignition to the run position all you get is oil pressure light. No fuel pump, check engine or anything else. If you lift the hood you can hear a very high pitch noise coming from the ECM
This doesn't seem normal to me. The check engine light should come on and then go off if there are no codes. This is true for the other lights also. If the bulbs are good i would say it's a bad pcm.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:18 PM
papadill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry. I should have stated my former mechanic told me the computer was OK. He had it for a month and probably told me that so I would stop bothering him. I don't think he wanted to work on it. I don't know how he determined it was good.
The lights are good. they did work when the truck would run. The check engine light worked normally. It would come on and then go out after a few seconds. When the problems started, the check engine light would flash at the same rate as the chattering of the relays. Weak and fast at the start of the cycle and slow and strong at the end before the fuel pump would come on. Cold weather seemed to make it worse, but now there is nothing.
The high pitch whine is coming from the left fender, behind the battery. That's not a normal thing. It just started that.

Quick Reply: 93 W-150. Wont start