1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 1989 dodge ram d150 is driving me crazy! Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 AM
Mokii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb My 1989 dodge ram d150 is driving me crazy! Need help please!

Hey there...I have a 1989 dodge ram d150 with a 5.2 in it. I bought it a couple months ago and have driven it daily with no problems. About 2 weeks ago, it didnt want to start. It cranked but wouldnt catch. After a couple hours it started like nothing was wrong. 2 days later i was going down the highway and it just stalled out. Didnt want to start again. Let it sit and after 15 mins it started...Since then ive been playing a "might start/might not/might stay running/might not game". Ive replaced the coil, but still have the same thing going on.

The fuel pump is fine. Its getting fire from the new coil to the distributor, but no fire to the spark plugs. Someone told me to replace the engine control computer. Someone else said put a new distributor on.....Anyone else have any ideas before I go shelling out even more money ? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you are getting spark from the coil, but, not at the plugs, time for a cap/rotor and plug wires.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

And get the OEM style cap, It will have brass inserts. If you don't you will get the aluminum ones that corrode fast.